The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

weird cooling issue

Gordian79

so i found a leak by TB hose.apparently hose slipped off hard line and was on tip of hardline.went to the track made 5 passes.on the drive home my temps dropped to like 140deg.both on gauge and logger.i thought it might of been low on coolant so maybe not enough coolant reaching sensor.coolant was fine.when i got home it was low.i added some today and let car warm up and it was at normal temps.i rev engine a few times and coolant is coming out of overflow tank.car didnt lean out in any of my passes afrs were steady 11.2s.No power loss.car never over heated.no coolant in oil no chocolate milk on oil fill cap.maybe i added too much?blown head gasket?maybe coolant leak caused air pockets?

Terry Posten

So this is the Evo right?

Might have popped a HG racing and it only happens under engine load. Sucks man.

Rausch

Where are the temp sensors? ( I dunno on an Evo, if that is the case) Possible the t-stat is stuck closed, showing low temps outside the engine (rad, water neck), and overheating inside? Eventually pressure overcomes whatever and forces it's way out?

Gordian79

Temp sensors are in t stat housing.i changed radiator cap seems fine now.possibly cap was opening too soon.still have my doubts though.almost broke into 11s with only fuel pump,fmic and tuning.

Last edited:

iLLeffeKt vr-4

Again....nice times for only those mods. As far as the cooling issue hopefully the radiator cap was the issue.
How much did you add and did you add it to the overflow tank or straight into the radiator?

iLLeffeKt vr-4

Have you driven it today? Does coolant still go into the overflow?

Gordian79

everything is fine.im going to replace head gasket anyway because i dont feel comfortable doing the 1x1 arp method.i dont wanna any issues with oil leaks doing it the 1x1 method.ill be doing cams,springs and new turbo while im in there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif hopefully i can now break into 11s.

find someone with a cylinder leak down tester if coolant is still going into the overflow bottle... try a radiator cap first... then get it leak down tested by someone that knows how to use the tester... but it basically sounds like a head gasket to me.. they also have a tester you can put on the radiator opening that checks for combustion gasses that will confirm a head gasket problem

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned