The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Vehicle Speed Sensor Question

deez

I am trying to find an idle issue, and I was checking the VSS and it bounces around non stop, even when the car is stopped. Now, if I recall, its a reed switch that is triggered by magnets in the speedo, which opens and closes the switch and gives it that reading of it bouncing around. Now at a stop, shouldnt it just read 0?

belize1334

0 or 1, depending on position, but it shouldn't change. It is possible though that it's sitting in transition and it's just your multimeter which is bouncing around. I.e. if the reed switch is 'between' open and closed then the multimeter will get confused. Where are you connecting the multimeter? Are you readin the reed switch directly or at the ECU? Try disconnecting the speedo cable from the transission and rotating it by hand. This will simulate vehicle speed and should cause the reed switch to cycle through open/closed/open etc.

misterfixit

change the battery in the multimetrer. my fluke goes wappy when the battery is about to die.
Rich

deez

I should have specified I am using my logger for readings, not a multimeter. It bounces around between 0 and 70'ish

belize1334

Ah. Well, you could have a flaky reed switch which would be jumping sporatically between 0 and 1 and thus making the ECU think the speedo cable is moving. You could also have something interfering with the signal.

In my situation I determined that there was a short in one of the circuits between the reed switch and the ECU which was grounding the wire so that the ECU always saw 0. In your case, it's possible that something is flaking out and putting weird noise in the line. Things that use the VSS are the variable speed wipers, the cruise control, not sure what else.

My fix was to take the instrument panel out and run my own line directly from the reed switch to the ECU after disconnecting the factory wire from both ends (switch and ECU). It's a bit ghetto but it works.

What are you looking at on a logger to determine this? I have found that the "VSS" address that many of them log doesn't work properly. The only reliable way to see if the reed switch is registering correctly is by inputting address C6 into one of the MMcD versions that allows custom address logging. It should be at ~228 when the car is stopped, and quickly drop as you start moving.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned