The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

HELP! i need detailed instructions for doing COP setup

can somebody here who has done a successful COP setup help me? specifically, i need a detailed guide to follow. i've removed my coils and after reading the thread in the how to section there's still a few questions in my head. first of all, do i still retain the stock coils or can they be removed completely?
img.php

if i'm right, from the pics only the 3 wires going to the stock coils are used and the coils themselves are by-passed.
another thing is i bought coils from a nissan QG15 engine and i wonder if they'll do the job. here are the coils i've got next to the VR4 ones.

CP

The stock coilpack is not used with the COP setup. Contact Boostx; he makes a plug and play kit and can probably help you out.

boostedinaz

That wiring diagram is all you need. Cut the plug off the stock coils and leave about 3 inches of wire on it. Then wire up the coil according to that diagram. You now have a nice COP setup.

boostedinaz

It should. That is the wiring diagram I used when I had to rewire the COP setup on my Talon.

curtis

Not sure if it will work or not. And yes your welcome thats my drawing above......Those aren't intrepid coils but bike denso sticks coils. Are they 2 wire or 3 wire coils?

i havent done anything yet, cos i've been told 3-wire coils don't work for the setup and mine unfortunately are 3-wire ones. how do 3-wire ones work compared to 2-wire ones? i'm guessing the 3rd wire acts as a trigger of some sort? i'm really keen on this project so if anybody has any input, please chime in. thanks in advance...

mysticj

with a three wire plug: one wire is power(+12V), one is ground(-), and and the other is a trigger.

just wire it like the intrepid diagraph and ground each coil to the engine or a common grounding point i.e. an ignition equalizer.

curtis

Some of the coils the third wire is a ground and others are a trouble code to the ecu.

Being the bike stick coils I would guess there grounds.

i see. hmm, i will try that out soon and get back to you guys with the results. wish me luck and thanks a lot people!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts