GalantVR4.org The Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Forum
Galant VR-4 Forums » Galant VR-4 » Technical Discussions » Testing Coolant Temperature Sensors
Previous thread Next thread

Testing Coolant Temperature Sensors

MidEngine210
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 339510 posted 05/16/06 03:26 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
I was wondering how I do the following:

1.) How to test the gauge and ecu coolant temperature sensors while they are in the thermostat stat housing using a multimeter. Exact settings on the multimeter is appreciated. I suspect my gauge sensor is toast.

2.) How do I test the wires that plug into these two sensors so I know they are still good? My logger showed varying temps while driving recently and I suspect faulty wiring or bad plug.

Thanks.

| | | IP: (204.13.59.250) | Report this post to a Moderator

s_firestone
Ctrl-Alt-Boost
918/1000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 339598 posted 05/16/06 07:24 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Here you go.

The Thermo Sensor is the one located at the bottom of the radiator near the middle. This is a thermal switch that toggles continuity at or above 183 degrees for the fan. I recommend if you intend to test this on the car, get a set of test leads you can clip on. I would not endorse reaching down that close to the manifold while the car is at operating temperatures and secondly because of the fan. I'm not sure what behavior the car will exhibit while this is unplugged(fan runs or no fan) so be careful.

The Coolant Temperature sensor and Gauge temperature sensor locations:

The Coolant Temperature sensor and Gauge temperature diagnostics. You can test these on the car.

Stephen Firestone
1992 GVR4 #918 of 1K

Posts: 1610 | From: Park City, UT USA | Member Since: 06/27/02 | IP: (24.170.24.226) | Report this post to a Moderator

MidEngine210
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 339652 posted 05/16/06 09:20 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post   
Thank you very much.

| | | IP: (204.13.59.250) | Report this post to a Moderator

Pages: 1
Previous thread Next thread

Extra information
0 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Galant VR4.org Moderator:  curtis, steve, atc250r, jcgalntvr4-244, cheekychimp, jepherz, Rausch, toybreaker, iceman69510, pot, FlyingEagle 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 8786

Rate this thread

News & Events: News | Events
Galant VR-4: Newbies | General VR4 Discussions | Technical Discussions | How To and Info Archive
Marketplace: Parts For Sale | Cars For Sale | Good Guys | Bad Guys
Community: Members' Showcase

Contact Us | Privacy statement GalantVR-4.org

Generated in 0.118 seconds in which 0.106 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Turbo powered.

Hertz's Galant VR-4 Page