GalantVR4.org The Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Forum
Galant VR-4 Forums » Galant VR-4 » Technical Discussions » Rear steering question
Previous thread Next thread

Rear steering question

Terry Posten
Old Balls
425/1000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 332663 posted 04/27/06 02:14 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
I am finally sick of the wiggle from the back end under hard acceleration. I am overpowering the rear steering rack under full load and it is getting very hard to control.

I want to disable the rear steering, but want to do it the fastest, dirtiest way.

Will this work?

Remove the tierod end links from the trailing arms, take car to welding shop and have them weld the control arms solid (the part that slides into the main arm).

Is it OK to leave the rear steering intact?

Will I have tracking issues with the rear wheels when they weld the arms solid? Do they have to do something special with the arms before they lock them down. What I mean by that is do they need to have the weight of the car on the suspension while welding or can it be in the air with the tires hanging.

1992 Galant VR4 click
2010 Outlander GT S-AWC Premium w/nav (wife daily)
2010 Jaguar XF Premium Luxury (my daily

Posts: 9009 | From: Davenport, Iowa USA | Member Since: 12/16/03 | IP: (12.217.102.103) | Report this post to a Moderator

mj_rosenfeld
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 332754 posted 04/27/06 06:37 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
The easiest method, albeit not the most complete and perfect approach, is to just disconnect the tie rods from the trailing arms. The trailing arms will passively rear steer but no differntly than a TEL.
Mike R.

| | | IP: (67.129.216.12) | Report this post to a Moderator

bob in chicago
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 332918 posted 04/28/06 06:59 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post   
You'll only need to weld one side to the housing, since the rear rack is one piece that slides left/right thru the rack's housing. After you get it welded, then reconnect the ends to the suspension. This tightens up the "passive rear steer" that's built in.
You MUST block the two pressure lines that come out of the front rack to prevent the rear pump from pushing against the locked rear rack. You need to get an accurate alignment after wards to correct changes in rear toe-in/out.

Edited by bob in chicago (04/28/06 07:01 AM)

| | | IP: (216.80.16.189) | Report this post to a Moderator

Pages: 1
Previous thread Next thread

Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Galant VR4.org Moderator:  curtis, steve, atc250r, jcgalntvr4-244, cheekychimp, jepherz, Rausch, toybreaker, iceman69510, pot, FlyingEagle 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 1011

Rate this thread

News & Events: News | Events
Galant VR-4: Newbies | General VR4 Discussions | Technical Discussions | How To and Info Archive
Marketplace: Parts For Sale | Cars For Sale | Good Guys | Bad Guys
Community: Members' Showcase

Contact Us | Privacy statement GalantVR-4.org

Generated in 0.093 seconds in which 0.081 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Turbo powered.

Hertz's Galant VR-4 Page