GalantVR4.org The Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Forum
Galant VR-4 Forums » Galant VR-4 » Technical Discussions » Hooking up SAFC questions
Previous thread Next thread

Hooking up SAFC questions

deez
Nutz

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 325952 posted 04/08/06 09:59 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Since we are having never ending rain here in NorCal, I figure I might as well wire up my safc and try to dial it in. I have a few questions before I tackle this. One...when slicing into the necessary wires, what is the preferred method? two...I understand a logger gets the interpreted signal from the safc/ecu when you run an safc, so the logger numbers are no longer accurate. Is that correct? Three....I am not too savy with this stuff...any recommendations so I dont nuke my motor?
thanks

#802/1000 Daily Driver SOLD!
1960 Austin Healey Bugeye
click

Posts: 1150 | From: Chico, CA | Member Since: 05/29/04 | IP: (67.117.19.10) | Report this post to a Moderator

Jason G.
Bourne Employment Supremacy

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 325988 posted 04/08/06 01:23 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Use whatever electrical connections you want, just make sure they don't come loose.

Data Loggers connect to the diagnostic port of your ECU which is located at the left kick panel. The AFC wires up before the ECU and the logger reads the ECU. So if you make any tuning changes with the AFC that have negative effects , like high knock counts and very low timing, it will accurately display on the logger.

And as far as settings go, it depends on what mods you have done. If you're still running on stock injectors, then the best thing to do is just leave your corrections at zero.

Read up on that RRE page.

Edited by Jason G. (04/08/06 01:24 PM)

Posts: 3279 | From: Anderson, SC | Member Since: 10/07/03 | IP: (70.118.211.189) | Report this post to a Moderator

number3

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 326044 posted 04/08/06 06:34 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Using a pair of wire cutters or a razor blade carefuly cut through the insulation only in the middle of the wire lead. (they recommend you do not cut the wire) Slide the insulation over just enough to expose 1/8-3/16 of an inch of copper. Take the wire you want to connect to to that wire and wrap it around the exposed copper. Solder the two together and wrap with quality electrical tape.

Harry
Three-speed.com
---------------------------
Pictures here

Posts: 7623 | From: KoP, PA | Member Since: 06/26/01 | IP: (68.80.13.254) | Report this post to a Moderator

Josh Weaver
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 326045 posted 04/08/06 06:36 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
You're partially correct on the logger being incorrect. When reading the logger, it will show you what the ECU sees for the Maf frequency. Since the SAFC is altering the frequency the ECU sees to control fueling, the ECU gets the wrong value and thus so does the logger. Obviously by wrong value I mean the value changed by the AFC settings. Also, if the TPS sensor is messed up, or, not closing all the way, the AFC will not show this. The SAFC learns the TPS values so the minimum it shows will be 0% and the maximum as 100%. Those values will not correspond to the logger all the time. WOT should be the same but at idle, the logger should say 9% I believe and the AFC will display 0%.

As far as what method I would use, I wouldn't settle for less than soldering. You may be able to get things to work with those God-awful vampire taps but you might as well do it right the first time. Make sure you follow the instructions on the grounds because it does matter which is closer to the ECU. You'll see what I mean in the instructions.

After it is installed there are several pages that will walk you through tuning. Good luck.

-Josh

| | | IP: (68.235.176.53) | Report this post to a Moderator

steve Galant VR4.org Administrator
Key Fob Guy

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 326521 posted 04/10/06 11:58 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Quote:

Using a pair of wire cutters or a razor blade carefuly cut through the insulation only in the middle of the wire lead. (they recommend you do not cut the wire) Slide the insulation over just enough to expose 1/8-3/16 of an inch of copper. Take the wire you want to connect to to that wire and wrap it around the exposed copper. Solder the two together and wrap with quality electrical tape.

This has been added to the How-To. Thanks Harry.

I know it's a foreign idea for most of us here, but you might want to try taking the car off jackstands.
-mitsuturbo

Posts: 18895 | From: NJ | Member Since: 09/11/03 | IP: (208.215.178.153) | Report this post to a Moderator

Josh Weaver
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 326552 posted 04/10/06 01:34 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
^^^ You can also use a pair of wire strippers designed to strip the wire in such a way. When you squeeze the handle, it clamps on to the wire and pulls the insulation back in the middle. A picture is shown below of a pair I'm refering to.

-Josh

| | | IP: (24.193.240.177) | Report this post to a Moderator

steve Galant VR4.org Administrator
Key Fob Guy

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 326554 posted 04/10/06 01:36 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post   
You just want to be in the How-To. I'll ask my wife if thats OK and get back to you.

I know it's a foreign idea for most of us here, but you might want to try taking the car off jackstands.
-mitsuturbo

Posts: 18895 | From: NJ | Member Since: 09/11/03 | IP: (208.215.178.153) | Report this post to a Moderator

Pages: 1
Previous thread Next thread

Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Galant VR4.org Moderator:  curtis, steve, atc250r, jcgalntvr4-244, cheekychimp, jepherz, Rausch, toybreaker, iceman69510, pot, FlyingEagle 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 917

Rate this thread

News & Events: News | Events
Galant VR-4: Newbies | General VR4 Discussions | Technical Discussions | How To and Info Archive
Marketplace: Parts For Sale | Cars For Sale | Good Guys | Bad Guys
Community: Members' Showcase

Contact Us | Privacy statement GalantVR-4.org

Generated in 0.108 seconds in which 0.084 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Turbo powered.

Hertz's Galant VR-4 Page