GalantVR4.org The Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Forum
Galant VR-4 Forums » Galant VR-4 » Technical Discussions » Another successful Dave Brode IC installation
Previous thread Next thread

Another successful Dave Brode IC installation

keydiver
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 213959 posted 05/03/05 10:58 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
I finally tackled the Dave Brode complete installation this weekend, but I wasn't sure where to start, as the documentation is rather limited. So, I thought I'd take some pictures as I went, to help the next guy. My first question was WHERE/HOW to mount the IC?? It seems that Dave is confused himself, because he emailed me that he had maybe installed the one bracket wrong. It turned out that he had installed BOTH brackets BACKWARDS, and on the WRONG SIDE! I know I took some pictures of the IC mounted, but they've disappeared from my camera! But, on this picture, you can sort of see that bracket through the hole in the bumper.

The brackets should face back, up, and out to the sides, so that they can be attached to the ends of the frame rails that protrude from the front of the radiator support. This is the same, rectangular protrusion that the stud sticks out of that the 14mm nuts go unto to hold the bumper on. I mounted the brackets about 1/4" below the top of that protrusion, as I didn't want the IC to be pushing down on the bottom of the bumper cover, as my RRE one does on #1886. However. I cut it REALLY close, as I could barely slide the bumper on later. I had to loosen all the bracket bolts, and drop it down as far as it would go, and it just fit. As you can see in the picture above, there is <1/4" between the top of the IC and the top bumper support. Dave supplies 6 3/16" poprivets to fasten it, and let me tell you: 3/16" poprivets are HARD to install with a hand/manual poprivet tool! It takes alot of power to snap the stems off of them, but, when finished, it makes for a VERY sturdy installation.
There is also another mounting tab that is in the middle of the IC, which goes where the PS cooler lines are normally bolted on. You have to bend the PS lines back out of the way a little, so they dont rub, remove the clamp, and then drill a hole in the bracket for the original 12mm bolt to go back in. As I said, it is VERY STURDY. The IC becomes a very substantial part of the front end of the car, IMHO.
But: let me start at the beginning:

| | | IP: (70.146.72.139) | Report this post to a Moderator

atc250r Galant VR4.org Moderator
Senior Ricer
1552/2000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 213965 posted 05/03/05 11:03 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Looks good, Jeff! Let us know how it works when you start driving it.

John

"...if they're so into masochism, they should just really go all out and start modifying Mitsubishis. And using them as daily drivers." - Mike R.

Posts: 13235 | From: Orange County, NY | Member Since: 09/11/03 | IP: (205.157.244.33) | Report this post to a Moderator

keydiver
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 213966 posted 05/03/05 11:08 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
I first made some marks with a magic marker by holding the bumper up to where it should be installed. A second person to help steady the bumper would REALLY help.

Then, using my handy-dandy Harbor Freight angle grinder, I started cutting off what had to be removed. I wanted to leave the complete, boxed section at the top for some strength, and I also wanted to leave the lower bumpercover-support strip, so that the cover doesn't sag down.

You also need to completely remove those metal dividers in the ends of the bumper, seen here:

But, missing here:

Sam
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 213968 posted 05/03/05 11:15 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Very nice Jeff
Let us know how it feels in performcance gains
Nice shoes btw

Edited by Sam (05/03/05 12:11 PM)

| | | IP: (65.120.217.114) | Report this post to a Moderator

keydiver
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 213969 posted 05/03/05 11:16 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Actually, this is a better picture here, showing the missing divider you need to cut out, as well as the cut you need to make straight back from the front of the bumper underneath:

I also had to notch the top of the bumper to allow the IC brackets to slide through a gap:

Here is what it looks like when dropped back into the bumper cover:

As you can see, I actually removed alot more than I had to, but I was sort of working in the dark here. Depending upon how much you plan to open up the bumpercover grill, you may want to remove more or less material than I did.
I also could have left more depth to the front brace, which supports the bumper cover:

As you can see, there's a healthy 1" gap there between the brace and the IC. You could leave more material if you wanted it stronger structurally.Here's one last view from the righthand side of the installed bare bumper.

Edited by keydiver (05/03/05 11:24 AM)

iceman69510 Galant VR4.org Moderator
Turn Right Racing
855/2000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 213996 posted 05/03/05 12:34 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Hah, I like the broken off bolts showing in the license plate mounting bracket tabs. Mine were like that too. I ground those tabs off when I modded my bumper (and repainted it). No more front plate for me.

91 VR4 855 Nile Black
92 VR4 828 Belize Green-SOLD
91 VR4 115 Nile Black -SOLD

Posts: 10724 | From: Michigan | Member Since: 03/05/01 | IP: (12.1.210.225) | Report this post to a Moderator

keydiver
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 213998 posted 05/03/05 12:39 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Quote:

(and repainted it).

HEY! Are you making fun of #880's rusty bumper??
It was originally a Maine car, so rust is in its blood I think. Actually though, I've snapped off alot less bolts than I expected. I only lost 2 or 3 nuts/studs removing the bumper cover. I soaked them with PB Blaster, and then used a battery-powered impact to spins them off.
The plate bolts were like that when I bought the car, so the PO must have done it. I just hope the next owner doesn't need a front plate!

iceman69510 Galant VR4.org Moderator
Turn Right Racing
855/2000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 214003 posted 05/03/05 12:49 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Who, me? Ahh, no Jeff, I'd uh... never do that! Not to a nice guy like you. No sir.

I'll have to post pics sometime of how I modded my front. Not quite as extensive a removal. Just a Starquest IC though.

Edited by iceman69510 (05/03/05 12:59 PM)

Posts: 10724 | From: Michigan | Member Since: 03/05/01 | IP: (12.1.210.225) | Report this post to a Moderator

Garfield Wright
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 214054 posted 05/03/05 04:04 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Nice. Glad to see it worked out. Now find those photos of the the bumper cover installed & post them.

| | | IP: (65.14.93.98) | Report this post to a Moderator

keydiver
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 215209 posted 05/06/05 09:02 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Quote:

Looks good, Jeff! Let us know how it works when you start driving it.

I've always maintained that an upgraded intercooler is one of the FIRST upgrades any GVR-4 owner should do, and my impressions from driving #880 now just confirm that all the more. The car is MUCH more responsive to throttle input, AND REALLY gets up and goes now, even with stock boost! Believe me, you will be MUCH happier with your car doing this mod than you would be with a bigger turbo, MAFT, injectors, etc. DO THIS FIRST!
Here's a picture under the hood. The pipes fit great, following the stock route with no issues. The only problem I could see is that its going to make replacing the alternator more difficult.

Talk about STEALTHY!

As you can see, the bumper cover still fits perfectly, no drooping, cutting, or reshaping of the cover at all.

| | | IP: (65.9.182.133) | Report this post to a Moderator

Rausch Galant VR4.org Moderator
Rock Star Status

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 215261 posted 05/06/05 11:45 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
the finish on the piping is exactly what i want for mine. i've got to get your recipe!!!

Rance lives here...
Founder of Sold out to BMW Cru, then sold out there too.

Posts: 12049 | From: Cleveland, OH | Member Since: 12/21/04 | IP: (205.188.116.198) | Report this post to a Moderator

keydiver
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 215413 posted 05/06/05 09:55 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post   
Its just Rustoleum "Metallic", I think it was called. I expected it to be shinier, more like chrome, like the cap was, but this nice aluminum look is probably better.

| | | IP: (65.9.248.234) | Report this post to a Moderator

Pages: 1
Previous thread Next thread

Extra information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Galant VR4.org Moderator:  curtis, steve, atc250r, jcgalntvr4-244, cheekychimp, jepherz, Rausch, toybreaker, iceman69510, pot, FlyingEagle 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 2207

Rate this thread

News & Events: News | Events
Galant VR-4: Newbies | General VR4 Discussions | Technical Discussions | How To and Info Archive
Marketplace: Parts For Sale | Cars For Sale | Good Guys | Bad Guys
Community: Members' Showcase

Contact Us | Privacy statement GalantVR-4.org

Generated in 0.283 seconds in which 0.241 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Turbo powered.

Hertz's Galant VR-4 Page