The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

EVO III swap?

i had an offer a few days ago to buy an evo III engine w/out exhaust mani and trubo. i already have an evo manifold and 16g (both ported) so i do not need these items. the engine has somwhere in the blaapark of 25k mi on it. i understand this engine had 270 hp stock. what do you think the motors worth and is the swap worth the hassle?

on the Evo3 motors, the only upgrades compared to a GVR4 engine is the Turbo, Injectors, Throttle Body? (use US TB) and some internal parts of the transmission. Other that that, its the same. I would recomend buying a regular Gvr4 long block. The evo long block is probably worth 800-1000 if in good condition. Hope this helps

BTW, please correct me if im wrong. Thanks

4orced4door

You do NOT want any EVO engine for your car. It is a 7-bolt engine (weaker, won't work with your motor mounts, i don't think you can use your tranny either). Get a 90-92 DSM 4G63 or else a GVR4 engine.

Paul,

I'm not sure why people are stuck on this. EVO I-III are 6-bolt blocks. EVO IV+ are 7-bolts with the motor reversed 180 degress.

4orced4door

Here we go again.
rolleyes.gif

Taken from RRE's website:

"EVO Motors: The valve covers of the EVO 1-3 motors will be a kind of titanium color. They are the same as a US 2G motor with nothing fancy. They have the smaller 2G style intake ports, a small runner intake manifold with a larger plenum and a larger throttle body than a 2G motor. Still they are hard to find. Many are from other 4G63 powered cars and can have small 13G sized turbos. They will not bolt into a 1G because there are no provisions for the front roll stopper motor mounts that bolt to the block. Everything in Japan from 94 and up has the front and rear roll stopper motor mounts on the transmission 2G Eclipse style. Many people are running around yapping about how they have an EVO motor in their car. If it bolts into a 1G, it isn't an EVO motor."

I was wondering if anyone has put an Evo I to III in our Galant VR4's. From what I understand, it can be done. But as the web site at RRE brings out, it would take alot of work to make it fit and function in our cars. Is it worth it?

Its not worth it, And yeah you can put it in if you dont want to use a front motor mount. There is NO MOUNTING POINT FOR THE FRONT MOTOR MOUNT ON THE BLOCK.

quote: I was wondering if anyone has put an Evo I to III in our Galant VR4's. From what I understand, it can be done. But as the web site at RRE brings out, it would take alot of work to make it fit and function in our cars. Is it worth it?
Would you put a 2g motor in your car? Exactley.

Ok, You can put that type of motor in your car. If you use the tranny and rear diff. The outlines to make the motor mount are on here. It consists of a big F-ing spacer to run from the tranny to the front crossmember or you can put 2g style mounts on you car.

http://www.vysor.com/lancerproject.htm

Its in there, Just look a bit.

4orced4door

It's a waste of time and money. 2G engines suck. Why do you think 2g owners swap in 6-bolts? Just buy the right engine, it's not like they are hard to come by.

ken inn

but it's an evo.

how many miles on it? im worried about my valve seals though. does anyone know if they tend to leak with higher mi? anyways, if the evo III engine is a six bolt (which it is) then it is not a 2g motor. the evo three engine is the strongest and most capable evo engine built. i read somewhere this engine can produce more power than any other 4g63 with stock internals.

Paul,

I stand corrected about the EVO I-III motors. I was always told otherwise by other reputable sources. If RRE says it, it's probably true - my mistake.

RTS182G-VR4,

Valve seals age like eveything else and will start to leak oil. Once you hit

yeah you are right...7 bolt start from vr4rs 240hp up to evo 1-3 ... most of the guy over here that are using evo engine but want more hp change it to 6 bolt engine..or change the internal with 6 bolt internal ..much more stronger

i went to the rre site and i stand corrected as well. if the evo engines are 2g, they must also suffer from crank walk? never mind that swap...

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts