GalantVR4.org The Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Forum
Galant VR-4 Forums » Galant VR-4 » Technical Discussions » Clutch switch activates brake lights
Previous thread Next thread

Clutch switch activates brake lights

idreamidrive
Member +
394/1000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 1248221 posted 01/26/20 05:57 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Not sure if this has been going on for a while, as I never really have my tail end up against something to notice, but last night I noticed that when pushing in the clutch pedal, this activates my brake lights. I recently have rebuilt the clutch/brake pedal assembly, but that should have no bearings on this happening. Brake switch activates brake lights, cruise control clutch switch activates brake lights. Looking at the wiring diagram, looks like the clutch switch goes in to the Auto-Cruise Control Unit (ACCU) at "1", and the ACCU can send out a brake (stop) light out at "15". Normally I would take out the ACCU and inspect it for a short, but its in a really tight spot (right above the dead pedal along with everything else). Anyone know if there is more than one bolt holding it in? You can easily get to one bolt, but it feels like the ACCU is mounted with at least another one, which isn't going to make removing it fun as there is a bunch of stuff in the way. Only other weird thing with the cruise on this car is that sometimes I have to hit the button 3-4 times to get it to set the speed/light up the gauge cluster light.

Posts: 405 | From: Murray, KY | Member Since: 10/10/12 | IP: (65.114.124.124) | Report this post to a Moderator

transparentdsm
I have to say something dumb Member
138/2000

152/1000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 1248225 posted 01/27/20 08:55 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post   
Honestly I would start with trying to unplug clutch switch for the ACCU and see if it stops happening. If it does I would suspect a short in the switch, if not I'd start removing the clutch pedal assembly you just rebuilt and look for a wire that got stuck somewhere or pinched during reinstallation.

The switch in the pedal is only held on there with a 12mm bolt. Should be easy to remove with everything in place.

138/2000
152/1000

Posts: 3616 | From: Klamath Falls, Or | Member Since: 07/27/11 | IP: (99.203.11.253) | Report this post to a Moderator

Pages: 1
Previous thread Next thread

Extra information
0 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Galant VR4.org Moderator:  curtis, steve, atc250r, jcgalntvr4-244, cheekychimp, jepherz, Rausch, toybreaker, iceman69510, pot, FlyingEagle 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 267

Rate this thread

News & Events: News | Events
Galant VR-4: Newbies | General VR4 Discussions | Technical Discussions | How To and Info Archive
Marketplace: Parts For Sale | Cars For Sale | Good Guys | Bad Guys
Community: Members' Showcase

Contact Us | Privacy statement GalantVR-4.org

Generated in 0.086 seconds in which 0.073 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Turbo powered.

Hertz's Galant VR-4 Page