GalantVR4.org The Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Forum
Galant VR-4 Forums » Galant VR-4 » Technical Discussions » Inline pcv route
Previous thread Next thread

Inline pcv route

tektic

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 1244775 posted 11/30/18 04:27 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
I'm trying to clean up the hoses under my hood.

If I were to put a 90 barb on the top port connected to a T on the side of the valve cover and then a bigger barb and hose going to my catch can, what size hoses would be adequate to vent the system property ?

Posts: 1416 | From: ronkonkoma, ny | Member Since: 12/19/12 | IP: (2607:fb90:78a:28) | Report this post to a Moderator

EMX5636
Carbon Fiber Cage
108/2000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 1244784 posted 12/01/18 04:56 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
There's a little more info needed for something like that. Typically, there is no such thing as "too big". If you're stock boost with a stock ring gap engine, you could probably get by with 3/8"(#6) hoses. If you have a looser setup, I'd say 1/2(#8) minimum, preferably 5/8" (#10)

91 #108/2000- link
97 Kawi ZX7R Street/Track
03 Kawi KLX400R Supermoto
05 CTS-V Stealth Grey
09 Hummer H3T

Posts: 1625 | From: Bucks County, PA | Member Since: 06/28/08 | IP: (2601:49:100:25a1) | Report this post to a Moderator

tektic

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 1244829 posted 12/08/18 05:42 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
ok, Yeah So this is what Was going for. and the sizes I settled on.

small hose 12mm id
large hose 16mm id
t is 3/8" npt
valve cover opening is 1/4" npt

16mm hose will go to turbo inlet pipe.

Posts: 1416 | From: ronkonkoma, ny | Member Since: 12/19/12 | IP: (24.189.25.4) | Report this post to a Moderator

tektic

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 1245371 posted 02/16/19 11:44 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Is there a problem not using the intake manifold and a check valve for a second source of vacuum?

I'm being told that the using only the nipple on the pre-turbo pipe is not adequate during idle, cruse, and quick throttle close.

How much of an issue and what symptoms will I have?

I kind of screwed my self because I mounted my fuel hoses very close to the intake manifold pcv orifice and don't know if I can still fit I nipple fitting in the stock location.

I would really like some experienced opinions before I charge all these systems. I don't want to cause weird driveability issues became I will most likely never be able to figure them out at that point.

Posts: 1416 | From: ronkonkoma, ny | Member Since: 12/19/12 | IP: (24.189.25.4) | Report this post to a Moderator

slugsgomoo
god hates stupid people
461/1000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 1245478 posted 03/01/19 06:00 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
I'm not running off the intake manifold anymore, because in general the PCV starts having an issue with big boost levels. I have a sealed can, both lines go from the VC to the catch can, it's baffled, and then I run to the turbo inlet. I don't really see how the vacuum at the compressor is going to be significantly lower than what's in the intake manifold since all the air going through the manifold is first routing through the turbo. Perhaps someone smarter than I can comment on that, but in the end, I don't have any way to really revise it so I'm not going to worry.

If it helps, all my lines for the catch can are -10 (iirc that's .5" ID)

-andrew
{witty signature}
#461 Kensington Grey - 2.0L/T67/etc
2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
2014 Ford Focus ST

Posts: 3671 | From: Tacoma, WA | Member Since: 10/16/03 | IP: (192.195.4.32) | Report this post to a Moderator

belize1334
well bread and nobly conceived
1334/2000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 1245525 posted 03/07/19 03:38 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
In case anybody hasn't read it, here's an excellent article on the PCV system in general.
click

Under the normal configuration, when the IM is under vacuum, air is drawn in from the intake snorkel through the left facing port, through the valve cover, and into the IM through the PCV valve. This steady flow of fresh, metered air, keeps the crank case well ventilated. It also explains why PCV systems can affect idle stability, because the air flowing through the PCV is in addition to the BISC and ISC, so changes to the PCV must be compensated with changes to the BISC setting. And, as we know, under boost, the PCV closes and the flow direction reverses, so that blow-by is expelled into the pre-turbo intake and ingested through the engine. This is where your catch can or oil-separator come in, to collect oil during flow reversal under boost.

Depending on the application, an alternative configuration might be a good idea, but in general there are two problems with eliminating the IM vacuum source. First, the vacuum in the pre-turbo intake track is relatively weak compared to the IM, so you don't get nearly as much suction under normal driving conditions. And second, the VC is no longer 'ventilated', in the sense that there's no fresh air being drawn in. The slight vacuum from the pre-turbo inlet will relieve any pressure built up from blow-by, but there's no way for fresh air to get into the crank-case. As such, this configuration is good for relieving high crank-case pressures caused during heavy load, but generally does a poor job of keeping the oil clear of steadily accumulating hydrocarbons and other combustion byproducts. Hence why it is recommended for 'race-only' applications where you change the oil often and spend relatively little time under 'normal operating conditions'.

Roger B. Scott
'91 Belize Green

Edited by belize1334 (03/07/19 03:43 AM)

Posts: 3312 | From: Dundee, Scotland, UK | Member Since: 11/18/03 | IP: (134.36.232.110) | Report this post to a Moderator

PJGross
both buccal and lingual
490/1000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 1245744 posted 04/04/19 10:27 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Great article and explanation on PCV routing.

How much would elminating the side of valve cover to pre-turbo breather effect idle/driveability? From the article this appears to be purely crankcase ventillation effects, yes?

Also, a catch can in the PCV loop should not have a breather filter on it, correct? I believe this is an obvious "correct" answer but I'm asking because I had purchased and installed a RRE catch can in I think 2000 or so that has a breather filter on it. Don't think this is a good thing.

Essentially my PCV system as it sits is all messed up.

-PJ

#490/1000

Edited by PJGross (04/04/19 10:34 AM)

Posts: 1520 | From: Lake Orion, MI | Member Since: 12/05/02 | IP: (204.117.38.42) | Report this post to a Moderator

belize1334
well bread and nobly conceived
1334/2000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 1245745 posted 04/04/19 11:28 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post   
No part of the PCV system should be open to atmo as this will lead to unmetered air being ingested through the PCV valve.

The pre-turbo-to-side-cover port is for ventilation when the IM is under vacuum. But under boost, the PCV valve closes and the pre-turbo port becomes the relief valve for positive crank-case pressure. Blocking it off can cause dipstick blowout and potentially an engine fire.

Roger B. Scott
'91 Belize Green

Posts: 3312 | From: Dundee, Scotland, UK | Member Since: 11/18/03 | IP: (134.36.232.110) | Report this post to a Moderator

Pages: 1
Previous thread Next thread

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Galant VR4.org Moderator:  curtis, steve, atc250r, jcgalntvr4-244, cheekychimp, jepherz, Rausch, toybreaker, iceman69510, pot, FlyingEagle 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 1132

Rate this thread

News & Events: News | Events
Galant VR-4: Newbies | General VR4 Discussions | Technical Discussions | How To and Info Archive
Marketplace: Parts For Sale | Cars For Sale | Good Guys | Bad Guys
Community: Members' Showcase

Contact Us | Privacy statement GalantVR-4.org

Generated in 0.234 seconds in which 0.201 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Turbo powered.

Hertz's Galant VR-4 Page