The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Instrument cluster swap

tektic

Has anyone swapped to a lancer cluster or anything similar? I'd like an updated look for my dash.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I would assume most the lights are a single wire. The fuel and coolant sensors are probably similar. The speedo still cable driven on the lancer? What about the vss sensor. That's in the cluster right?

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Light circuits are a little more complicated than one wire because of the dimmer function if I recall correctly. I think the dimming function is on the ground maybe? Anyway, not too difficult to figure out.

Will the shape be similar enough?

tektic

Honestly It's a little more complicated in my situation. I'm trying to finish up a dohc turbo swap in my mighty max. The instrument cluster is very lack luster. In fact it has no tach and no oil gauge. So an upgrade is definitely in order. I considered a 1g cluster but then since I'm probably using an evo ecu with patch harness I was wondering about the lancer cluster.

I'm curious how different other mitsubishi clusters and sensors are. The montero cluster looks to be about the same size and shape, so that might be worth considering. All aftermarket suff will probably run upwards of $1000 so... Other options are to cut the tach, fuel, temp and speedo out of something else and mount it with aftermarket oil boost and afr gauges.

dime2nr

If your gonna use an Evo ecu what about a Windows tablet odb to Bluetooth dongle type set up?

click

Last edited:

strokin4dr

1g/dsm vss in in the cluster. 2g unit is on the trans. The signal is compatible though. I'm using a 2g ecu in a 4g mirage with and evo 3 cluster and everything works like it came from the factory that way (once wires were ran to correct locations). I would try a montero or even a gvr4 cluster if I were building a truck. Good luck with the project and post pics!

tektic

I need to figure out when the montero speedo switched away from cable drive.

I like the idea of the tablet but it seems too complicated to be trustworthy.

I also considered one of these universal Motercycle cluster

Tektic @ Instagram for build pics of the truck. The account pretty much dedicated to that and esoteric writing.

bradrs

I can't imagine you would get much support on how to wire up the $25 universal motorcycle cluster.

Some signals are fairly easy, like tach signals off of coils. But other ones like the fuel level senders will require some sort of specific calibration, and sometimes some external circuitry.

The DSM dimmer is on the ground side of the wiring, as mentioned above. This can make it tricky to wire up external lighting to the dimmer circuit. But if you are just using all of the OEM lighting in the dash, it isn't a problem.

Last edited:

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Quoting tektic:
Has anyone swapped to a lancer cluster or anything similar? I'd like an updated look for my dash.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I would assume most the lights are a single wire. The fuel and coolant sensors are probably similar. The speedo still cable driven on the lancer? What about the vss sensor. That's in the cluster right?

You have some options from a Mitsu savvy guy:

bottom of the page

http://lancerproject.ca/

rag3

I have seen some people use the S2000 AP1 cluster. They also make plug and play harness online for that cluster, depending on the type of car. The digital cluster ads a more modern look to the whole dash setup and plus the redline starts at 9,000 to it can accommodate for various types of builds.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts