The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Odd sound.

gvr4ever

I have a strange resonating sound near the top left side of the engine bay that only happens exactly at 2300 RPMs. I can't find anything loose, it goes away as quickly as it starts, unless I actually stay at 2300 RPMS. It's kind of loud and annoying.

I might try and get a video of it later if no one else has ever had this issue, but does anyone have any ideals?

Rear balance shaft is out, front is bypassed. No actual vibrations can be felt. Engine is really smooth and runs perfect.

Car is driving fantastic, and I have this stupid issue.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
This is a recent development?

Loose tranny bolts or flywheel? Have you done anything lately?

gvr4ever

I'm a little embarrassed to say, the car has been down for some time.

I had the head rebuilt, new t-belt water pump. Transmission wasn't touched, other than new fluid.

Only new parts are FIC injectors. Keydiver did the new tune for me, and at stock boost, the car had never felt better/stronger.

I was going to take it out of town Sunday. Maybe 60 miles round trip. I'll look again for loose bolts. I checked all the engine mount bolts. I didn't change the crank pulley, but I think it was replaced not too many miles ago. It looked to be in great shape.

I figured it was a long shot, but I was hoping someone else has had the same odd noise and figured it out. At the moment it seems to only do it under load. I thought I was able to reproduce it in the garage, but when my brother stopped by, it wouldn't do it.

gvr4ever

I think I figured it out. I have a exhaust leak. It looks like the old school Mofugas exhaust has finally rotted. It sounds like the hood, dash, and even door skin is resonating and I can make out a obvious leak.

Better go SS this time.... Can't be back on the road without dumping more money at it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Classifieds Listings