The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

For stereo: MT reverse light wire?

PlatypusOfFury

I purchased a fairly dope Android based 2xDIN deck with the works on it including a backup camera.
Looking for the best place I can tap into the Manual's reverse lights wire to activate backup.

Someone must have done this already, just thought I'd hit some pointers up before diving in myself.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
The only thing the reverse switch does, is to connect the two wires that come into it.
This is basically a ground for the light circuit if memory serves.
If you were to tap/Tee into the reverse light circuit and use that power feed to trigger a backup camera, that will be the closest wire portion to your camera.

Maybe someone else has hooked one up, using the GVR4?

Last edited:

PlatypusOfFury

Why wouldn't it be a tech discussion?

Double DIN stereos w/ backup cameras are getting dang cheap!
The reverse trigger wire to turn the camera on could go many places I'm assuming.
Reverse switch on the manual trans, somewhere in the reverse switch to rear wiring, or even all the way back to a tail lights.

Just seeing if anyone already did this, and where they attached the trigger wire in the VR4.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Edited my first post. Sorry, I was coming at it from a mindset of a time long ago ... may have misjudged. Apologies.

PlatypusOfFury

No worries.
Backups (for the most part) consist of Ground, 12v Power, and a "Trigger" wire set.

Trigger wire is supposed to link into the reverse power circuit. Stereo display will automatically switch to backup camera when power is sensed through Trigger wire.
I can route all the way back to the trunk reverse lights and be safe. Just thought some may know of a closer place I could tee into with minimal mess.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Where ever the relay for the reverse lights will be, is the closest spot to a radio housing you will get, and the wiring can be readily tapped into before going to the rear of the car.

89Mirageman

I know from making the dsm to csm conversion harnesses that on a 1g the wires for the backup lights come through the firewall. Its behind the passenger's side kick panel where the engine harness plugs into the dash harness. I'd have to think a galant from the same era would be the same way.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Classifieds Listings