The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

looking for a source on a downpipe with cat delete included

scottinalaska

I see a variety of them on ebay for Talons and Eclipse cars. But shall i assume our Galant will be different? This is for a factory placement of an upgraded (larger) downpipe. While I am at it, I might as well eliminate my 160K mile cat!

Fish

I've got a Megan racing 3 inch 1g dsm downpipe in my gvr4 and it fit perfectly. I however bought the shorter one that doesn't delete the cat and bought a dummy test pipe with a built in resonator (I believe also Megan racing?). Anyway, everything fit great and all the hangers lined up as they should. It is sort of close to the oil pan but i think that's just the nature of the 3 inch downpipe in these cars. Hope this helps.

boostme

I've been researching myself I need a true 3in downpipe for my 3in o2 housing. So someone correct me if I'm wrong.

2G awd down pipes are longer than 1G Down pipes because they eliminate the cat. Here's a thread I found very helpful

click

pot

Staff member
I know lots of folks here are on a budget but there are two reputable performance shops that make custom Turbo Back exhausts for our cars and have no problem shipping:

Road Race Engineering (California)
Certified Muffler Performance Exhaust (Florida)

There are plenty of other Mitsu specific shops that will be happy to build an exhaust system as well so ship around. FWIW, I currently run an RRE turbo back exhaust on 182. Granted, it's 2.5 " until it clears the Oil Pan then it opens to 3" straight back. No Catalytic Converter, no Test-Pipe, just straight back to HKS Carbon wrapped 4" fartcan. Fit is superb as are welds and I couldn't be happier.

mitsuturbo

Quoting scottinalaska:
I see a variety of them on ebay for Talons and Eclipse cars. But shall i assume our Galant will be different? This is for a factory placement of an upgraded (larger) downpipe. While I am at it, I might as well eliminate my 160K mile cat!

Downpipes are the same between 1g and gvr4. The difference in exhaust is all in the back half between the two models. You can run a 2g (gsx) long DP that will eliminate the kitty. Downpipes are very similar if not identical between 1g and 2g DSM as well.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Classifieds Listings