The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Radiator fans kick on at 140F. That seems odd...

EfiniX

when I got my car originally, the fans were just on all the time. I got this sorted out when I put a new motor in, but ever since then, the fans kick on when the ECT hits 140 (what I see in link). I've got to assume that the sensor is actually turning the fans on at a lower temp since it's located at the bottom of the radiator.

So here's the thing: WTF? I don't see any resistors anywhere, and the temp sensor is stock Denso. I mean it might be f'ed? What else could cause this? It's causing the car to run a bit cooler than I would like, which is manageable with the coolant offset, but it also takes quite a bit of time to warm up.

I figure if the temp sensor fails, it just fails. Weird that the fans are coming on at such a specific temp...

EMX5636

But I would guess the sensor could fail and close the circuit at any temperature, I would try that first unless you know it's been replaced. Or you can do what Mark will suggest, and control the fans with DSMLink.

EfiniX

I'd be happy to use link, but I've searched far and wide for the process with little in the way of instructions. I know you use the FPR or EGR inputs, but those tabs in link don't have a mention of coolant temp. Could be a there's a hacky way to do it where you calculate the voltage link expects to see coming from the input to close the ground circuit and switch your relay on, but again, not sure what that is.

EMX5636

You use the outputs you listed, but you can tell it exactly when to turn on or off. I am controlling my meth injection the same way. You select on and off temp, wire it to a relay or to the factory fan temp switch wiring, and should be golden. If you go on the Link Wiki for controlling outputs, the generic info you need is there.

I'm sure Mark has some more specific info.

EfiniX

Can you share a screen shot? I don't see a field for temp.

donniekak

Have you updated to the newest firmware, and laptop application? It was added to v3 after it had been out a while.

EfiniX

I checked the versioning, but if the laptop software and ECU software don't follow the same release tree, that could be it.

turbowop

Quoting EMX5636:
WOP in 3, 2, 1... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

What'd I miss? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

KiNgMaRtY

Thanks for the tip Mark. I was unaware it was available for the 1g/vr4 ecu. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

prove_it

Quoting turbowop:
Quoting EMX5636:
WOP in 3, 2, 1... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

What'd I miss? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

Don't worry, we filled in for you... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

EfiniX

Quoting KiNgMaRtY:

I must be out of date. Those are not the fields I see.

KiNgMaRtY

Yes, update it. I had v3 and updated in February or so but hadn't played with it in a while and sure enough, the options where there

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts