The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Exhaust resonator type choice

tektic

After installing the correct engine brackets for a manual trans my exhaust no longer fits. The down pipe bangs against the body. The way I see it I have two choices. I can cut the first hanger and flange off after the down pipe and reposition them or use this as an excuse to ad a resonator where the cat would normally reside.

If I Chose to add a resonator these seem like common choices:

#1142 Vibrant Performance Ultra Quiet Resonator 3" x 10"
or
#1794 Vibrant Performance Exhaust Resonator 3" x 12"

Has anyone installed an 1142 in the cat position that can tell me how it fits and sounds? It seems like it may be a tight fit and I might just go with the 1794 so I don't run in to further issues.

Are there any other inline resonators I should consider?

boostx

It you are looking to quite it down i would go with a Magnaflow

boostx

On my vr4 i wanted it quite. I have tried Borla and vibrant but the magnaflow silence the beat /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif, I am will be cutting my the apeni N1 of my Evo and replace it with a magnaflow very soon .
pick the size you need

tektic

Cool. Expert recomndation! Just to be clear can you recall which borla and vibrant resonators you used?

FlyingEagle

Staff member
This will make your car relatively quiet, maintain a burble at idle and sound deep enough to let you know it's installed when leaning into it; boost makes it a little bit louder.

These mufflers (you want a resonator and likley it's designed exactly the same way, just with less volume and sound deadening material/packing), use a straight pipe

with round holes/perforations in the internal section of the pipe.

The casing can rot out all it wants, the pipe will still be standing when it's all said and done. Ask me how I know ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Just installed the muffler in this link (Colt w/4g63t, 264/272, Evo3 turbo, 2.5", 2x90 degree and an over axle section, catalytic installed).

Magnaflow mufflers - not GVR4 specific, 2.5" offset/offset, universal

Granted 2.5" piping is always quieter, so install a catalytic and 1 long or two short

resonators and call it a day. The more length and volume in the resonator, the more drone

you will help to cancel out.

You still need a better muffler to make the car liveable in my books, but 3" usually means

a high flow option and nothing but.

Try a pair of these on:

5" wide, 14" long universal satin finish Magnaflow

Last edited:

coyotes

I have this same magnaflow on my VR4, 3" from the o2 housing back with a high flow cat. Car is decently quiet but not super quiet. It can get loud when you get on it. I wish the sound had more character, not enough rumble and mostly just a deep tone. It has that typical 4g63 sound but I wish it had a little something more. No idea what I am looking for exactly or how to get it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

I have been considering redoing my setup and running just a resonator or two in line on the straight section of the exhaust: cat converter -> resonator -> resonator, and then just a straight pipe out the back, no muffler. I don't want it to be loud but I want a different sound and some more rumble.

G

Staff member
Coy, you have emissions in wa?

coyotes

Every 2 years, but 25 year old vehicles are exempt. I wold continue to run a cat however, personal ethics.

boostx

Quoting tektic:
Cool. Expert recomndation! Just to be clear can you recall which borla and vibrant resonators you used?

The vibrant one was the Ultra Quiet Resonator. i can't remember which one of the borla it was.

tektic

Had a vibrant resonator installed today.

It had very little effect on reducing sound. I shoud have got a bigger one. Or just went with the magnaflow. Now I don't have as much boost creep. I had exhaust leaks fixed as well so that may of had something to do with it.

CutlassJim

Your lifting points on the front and the front right "framerail" have me like /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

EfiniX

Quoting tektic:
Had a vibrant resonator installed today.

It had very little effect on reducing sound. I shoud have got a bigger one. Or just went with the magnaflow. Now I don't have as much boost creep. I had exhaust leaks fixed as well so that may of had something to do with it.

What size? I've been thinking about the vibrant 18" bottle resonator. I've got a 3" turbo-back system and I don't thing the ultra quiet would fit with the extra diameter.

That being said, if your didn't notice much of a difference in sound, that's something for me to consider.

tektic

I know :'(

I'm ordering metal for subframe connectors tonight. Talked to the muffler guy about welding it on for me.

That's what your talking about right?

EMX5636

No, he means because they didn't use the pads of the lift on the pinch welds/subframe/frame rail etc. Just swung the arms under there and let them touch the floor and pinch welds. I'm anal, so it bothers me, but I know a lot of quick shops do this. As long as you don't have side skirts lower than the pinch welds, it's probably not hurting anything. You'll never see me do it on my or a customers car at home though.

Last edited:

tektic

What size? I've been thinking about the vibrant 18" bottle resonator. I've got a 3" turbo-back system and I don't thing the ultra quiet would fit with the extra diameter.

That being said, if your didn't notice much of a difference in sound, that's something for me to consider.

I think its the 12". I was thinking the same thing about the diameter but seeing this one installed there's room for a wider one.

Fish

I did that to a cop car once at work, dodge charger. I positioned the pads under the frame rail and the arms caught the pinch weld before the pads contacted. I didn't notice until the car was already off the ground and figured it would be ok. It was.

On another note, at my old job I saw somebody lift a dodge sprinter by the pinch welds. It looked fine but I know those things are fairly heavy. After he lowered it the doors barely opened due to body deformation. The customer was so pissed. That's always been a good reminder for me to watch where I'm lifting from.

Quoting EMX5636:
No, he means because they didn't use the pads of the lift on the pinch welds/subframe/frame rail etc. Just swung the arms under there and let them touch the floor and pinch welds. I'm anal, so it bothers me, but I know a lot of quick shops do this. As long as you don't have side skirts lower than the pinch welds, it's probably not hurting anything. You'll never see me do it on my or a customers car at home though.

EfiniX

Quoting tektic:

I think its the 12". I was thinking the same thing about the diameter but seeing this one installed there's room for a wider one.

Evan's (EHMotorsports) advice to me regarding resonators was that I should get the absolute longest one I can fit on my car. Anyone here have an 18" resonator that can share their experiences?

Gtpdz

I have tried with a meganaflow 3 inch resonator, around 20-22 inch I think. Quiet down the idling and low rev range mostly, according to my neighbor it was quieter. Didn't do much with the high rpm range though. Gonna put on the vibrant flat black muffler later to see if it helps. Right now it has some cheap 4 inch outlet on, my garage door and wall are resonating when I park inside and idling, but not loud to the ear just a very deep rumble.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts