The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Stock part limitations?

92_talon_awd

Hey all, I've almost got my diesel DD back together so it's about time to build the Galant motor. My goal is to have around 400whp but the catch is I want it to appear as stock as possible. I don't want people to be able to tell there is work done to the car when they look under the hood or in the cab. I've got fuel and electronics covered and I'm thinking about a 20g wheel in the 14b housing for the turbo. My question is about the limitations of the stock exhaust and intake. I've never had a bone stock 4g63 car before so I always had big exhaust and AEM or Link for the intake side. If I use a 2g or Evo maf to retain a stock look how much power can I make? Thanks.

92_talon_awd

Good news, thanks! Any ideas on exhaust? I've always had a 3" on my other cars but I'd like to keep it as small and quiet as possible on this gem.

Last edited:

turbowop

Perhaps use some type of cutout at the end of a large downpipe, but use a stock sized catback. Either boost or electrically actuated.

92_talon_awd

That was actually something I had thought about lol. Thanks again. I'm sure I'll have some more questions as I get into it but that's it for now. Just planning on a basic rebuild with aftermarket rods and pistons, ARP studs, and metal head gasket.

transparentdsm

i have a full 3" exhaust, straight piped and i use a dynomax VT muffler, at idle its quiet and when you get on it it opens up and really howls. i like the way it sounds, but i have only heard it from inside my car. there is zero drone noise and the cabin stays quiet. i can try to get a video of me doing a 1-2 gear pull in it if you'd like, but i dont know how much that will tell you.

here is the muffler click

92_talon_awd

My 1g had a 3" Apexi all the way that I really loved the sound of and my 2g had a 3.5" Megan which was nice too. Both were pretty loud at cruising speed though. I just don't want a huge can hanging out the rear.

Last edited:

transparentdsm

mine is quiet at cruising speeds. you can have a conversation without having to raise your voice while driving.

also its def not a can, here is what it looks like.

92_talon_awd

I like the way that looks, I wonder if I have to go to 3" or if 2.5" would be enough.

coyotes

I would go 3", 2.5 will become a restriction when you are making 400 wheel. If you want to quiet your exhaust use a high flow cat and a resonator or two.

LIV4PSI

What are your plans for the intercooler?

92_talon_awd

Ok, 3" isn't a big deal as long as it's not too loud, don't want them to suspect anything /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I've always had a big FMIC before but I'm thinking about a nice beefy SMIC. Forget what the DSM guys use for SMIC upgrade but it's only a search away on tuners. Supra I think /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

LIV4PSI

Supra sidemount is what some DSM guys do.

92_talon_awd

That's what I was thinking. Are there any other options for us VR4 guys beyond a front mount?

LIV4PSI

Nope, you could look into running a JDM RS FMIC. It would still look factory since it's OEM

92_talon_awd

What kind of prices do those go for and are they hard to come across? I guess the two are tied together ha.

coyotes

I had a JDM FMIC on 981, wasn't totally obvious. If you really want, spraypaint your FMIC black to stealth it up or hide it behind some mesh and don't cut your grill out.

92_talon_awd

That's not bad looking at all, I'm definitely not cutting anything on this old gal though lol.

LIV4PSI

I hope the OP doesn't plan on cutting the bumper, that ruins the overall goal. The piping under the hood would be stock with a JDM setup which is nice as well.

I'm not sure on price, $300-$400? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

92_talon_awd

Dang right haha. That's not a bad price. I was wondering about the piping, definitely don't want a bunch of chrome pipes and silicone couplers running around the bay. If anybody sees one, feel free to PM me! Anybody run Starion intercoolers? That pic above reminds me of one.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts