The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

1g Mishimoto Radiator in a GVR4?

4dr_vr4

Did quite a bit of searching around but I am having a hard time drawing a conclusion as to whether or not it will work with no hassle. (I already know that I will have to use a 1g thermostat housing).

I have a 1g Mishimoto Radiator laying around, so I'd like to install it. My searches show all kinds of craziness. Anything from the stock GVR4 fans not lining up, to overheating, to upper mounts not lining up, to needing to lose the A/C, etc, etc.

Does anyone have one in their car?

I know that there are easier options, but I already have the radiator here and don't feel like selling it to a 1g guy to get another radiator that bolts on more easily.

Thanks

Last edited:

bmxr152

I had one on my vr4 before. The only thing i had to modify was the top mounts. The 1g style radiator is shorter so you will need to extend the studs or lower the mounts. I would just go with a scirocco radiator.

4dr_vr4

Thanks, how did you extend the mounts and were you ultimately able to make it look good? Did the stock fans bolt right up? Any clearances issues? (I am running an E316g with external dump). Why would you just go with a Scirocco radiator?

Sorry for all of the questions, just want enough info to make a decision since I just have the bastard laying here and lack the motivation to box it up and sell it.

CutlassJim

The stock fans won't line up because the radiator is shorter. You will need 1G fans.

bmxr152

Quoting 4dr_vr4:
Thanks, how did you extend the mounts and were you ultimately able to make it look good? Did the stock fans bolt right up? Any clearances issues? (I am running an E316g with external dump). Why would you just go with a Scirocco radiator?

Sorry for all of the questions, just want enough info to make a decision since I just have the bastard laying here and lack the motivation to box it up and sell it.

I used slim fans. I welded a 90* bend onto the stock mounts and droped them to fit the shorter 1g radiator. I would get the scirocco because it give you alot more room and cools great. Do some searching about afco scirocco radiators in vr4s and dsms.

tektic

I also had a 1 g rad. I welded nuts on to the brackets an installed them under the upper support rather than over. I was originally jus going to thread in the bolts from the bottom but it proved too difficult.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts