The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Manual Steering Rack

Lukefraizer

So I have been doing some searching around and can not find anything on people who have done this conversion. I am thinking about doing it for a track car. I would like to know how the handling is or how heavy the steering will be? I'm not looking to get worn out with an endurance race and wondering if it is a reasonable amount of heavy. Thanks for your input.

Luke

slugsgomoo

I have one in my 1g. It's fine on twisty roads or the highway, but low speed lock to lock sucks (like autoX), and it's definitely not light. I think it's something like 1.7 turns more lock to lock, but with 245's and the whiteline +1 caster bushings, it wants to be centered and it'll let you know. I find that turning with one hand is not good until I'm at least doing 30mph.

I like it a lot, and it made sense for the other mods I was doing, but I probably wouldn't do it in a car I wanted to race around corners. The power setup isn't that much heavier and you can lose a ton more weight all over the car before that's an issue. I'd honestly keep the power setup and add a quickener so you can go lock to lock faster.

LIV4PSI

I have one on my car and I am pleased with it. It's definitely heavier, but within reason. I haven't auto-x it, so I can't comment there

Lukefraizer

So switch it out to an eclipse rack for a bit of weight there and get rid of the rear steer and a steering quickener! Deal

Luke

raptorWagon

If you think a manual rack is difficult, you have not experienced driving a non-power power rack. Autocrossed and daily drove that setup for 3yrs lol, took a month to get flipping U-turns on narrow roads and then parallel parking, but after that it was easy.

Lukefraizer

I have a 92 Civic daily driver that is no power steering and I really don't care for it for daily driving. It weighs next to nothing as well. Having heavy steering for several hours on a demanding track sounds pretty terrible.

Luke

EMX5636

I had a manual rack in my Galant for about 6 weeks. I didn't have a problem with it in my 1G, but it was lightened a bit. My Galant is a full weight car, and daily driving it was annoying. It isn't a "race car" so I didn't see the point of a couple lbs. I put a 1G power rack in it, and never looked back.

It gets even worse if you do a welded center diff.

slugsgomoo

I did a DSM rack in my galant as well, I want to stick with the power steering but I wanted to positively eliminate the 4WS lines and such and ensure I'd never have a problem ever again. Didn't weigh it, but I think the rack is at least a tiny bit lighter than the GVR4 part, for what that's worth.

I wouldn't even attempt to drive a manual rack car with a welded center though, that's crazy.

Gizmovr4

I put a manual rack in 431 a few years ago - not so much for the weight savings but for ease of engine removal, no more leaks,freed up some more room without pump and reservoir- also 1hp gain from no drag on crank /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gifI personally like the feel of the manual rack - feels more responsive to me !! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gifI even converted 584 to manual rack... I guess it's a preference thing really!!

EMX5636

It it cleaner in the bay without the P/S stuff in there Gizmo. But when I built this car, the purpose was to hopefully never have to pull the engine again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif So the extra room wasn't necessary. lol If it was a track car, or only a weekend driver, I would probably put a manual rack back in.

Gizmovr4

Like I said its a preference thing. We don't all like the same things that's why all these cars have so many different build combinations. It's also what makes this platform perfect for modifications . I usually don't plan on pulling motor I build .... However when you push the envelope- sh*t happens lol usually 40psi or more /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

BpuVR4

is a manual rack easier to turn than a power steering rack with the pump removed or about the same?

EMX5636

A manual rack is easier than a de-powered power rack. It's a higher ratio. Easier, but more turns lock to lock. This is saying you remove the spool valve and stuff inside the power one. If you just pull and loop the lines, it's even a bit harder.

Oh, and Gizmo, I wasn't poking fun that you had to pull the engine. I know you push it hard, and it's just part of the game. I was more lumping you in with the track car aspect. Your build suits a manual rack perfectly. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif As does a weekend warrior if you are up to the effort. I just wanted a nice daily street car, so back in the P/S went.

Last edited:

prove_it

Quoting faqinshiet:
How much modification it to install a quickener? I did not see a how to

To my knowledge no one has installed one.

There was a thread discussing this topic a while back.

Last edited:

raptorWagon

Quoting BpuVR4:
is a manual rack easier to turn than a power steering rack with the pump removed or about the same?

Much easier than a Dry power rack, people complaining about a manual rack being tough are pansies.

prove_it

It's only really tough with 245 wide tires, a locked center diff and lowered.

A stockish set up is easy to turn.

Lukefraizer

We are running some 255's on the car it is lowered but no welded center diff. I may have to pick one up just to try it out. If I hate it then what the heck, throw a DSM one back in there. No harm done. This will also be a track car not a drag car, makes a very large difference. If it were just to go in a straight line fast I would have a manual rack no question.

Luke

turbophein

i just bought #1079 with a 1.8 rack. only 25 miles and i can't stand it. i will definitely be installing a dsm setup again. i bought this car to enjoy, not to work out. it violently tossed me today when boosting 1st around a corner, i've never felt so out of control, felt like newb all over again.

yes lowered with wide 17's

EMX5636

What kind of racing Luke? If it's wider open you will probably be ok. Don't forget that a OEM manual rack has more turns lock-lock than a power rack. If it were me, I would swap to a 2G power steering pump (to ditch the high RPM cutout of some 1G/VR4 pumps) and keep the assist. But like you said (and I did) try it. It's not a huge PITA to swap back out.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts