The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Intermittent electrical issues

strokin4dr

I'm having a rather odd problem with a gvr4 that I picked up last summer. I spent the last couple of hours searching the board to see if anyone else has experienced this too, and while I found some similar issues they haven't helped me yet.

The problem involves the power door locks, the clock illumination (and possibly memory), and the windshield wiper switch. This is all I have noticed so far, there could be other things going on that have not shown themselves yet.

When I first got the car running and began to put some miles on it, I noticed that after setting the clock that it would be reset sometimes when I got back in the car, whether it be days or minutes later. Doesn't always happen; it's just random. I didn't notice the other problems at first so they may not be related to this at all.

Not that I have been driving the car more regularly, I noticed that the clock will randomly go dim sometimes while driving (during the day, headlights off). It will stay dim for a while and then return to a more normal appearance where its easy to read.
Well today I noticed that anytime the clock is dim, the power door locks will not work at all. No matter which door I try pulling the lock tab on. And also the low speed setting on the wipers won't work. Only the low speed, all the rest of the speeds work fine! WTF???

When the clock is illuminating normally everything works as it should; locks work, all wiper speeds work, etc. As soon as I notice its gone dim again none of the mentioned item will respond.

Anyone ever had an issue like this?? I've looked for anything abnormal. I did find a thread that mentioned looking at the radio harness for clock issues. I am going to start there and pull that apart soon to check it out. Like I said, I bought this car last summer and am slowing fixing all the little issues that the previous owner didn't point out so this could be something that has been going on for a while or a new problem that is just showing its head. Weird.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
-Ryan

G

Staff member
Sounds like intermittent grounding issues.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts