The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Will this trans fit our cars? *COMPLETED FINALLY* Now another issue?

maxash0775

So here I am. If you have seen any of my threads you'll know i am having a nightmarish issue with my drive train. From the clutch breaking twice and the transmission breaking different parts on 2 different occasasions I am about to give up. My mechanic guy can't find the right parts to fix my tranny and confused me on what to order so I ordere the wrong parts ( thanks dynasty LCD for shipping out the part quickly and offering an exchange). So I went to pick up the tranny in the picture below on Wednesday after work a drove 120 miles one way, I almost cried (This is a stage 1 rebuilt TRE tranny BTW). I only saw the one "arm" where the shift linkage was and thought this is for a different model. I drove back home. Started doing research and this is what I believe to be true please correct me.

From what I have learned, this will fit (23 spline 1g awd). I have to take the shifter bracket where the 2 shift linkages from my old trans and put it on. The new trans correct?

If so, is that hard to do?

Picture of trans I want to buy.

Picture of my old trans

Last edited:

EMX5636

You just need to bolt the other cable arm on like you mentioned. If you have a 23 spline trans now, then this will bolt in without any problems.

Racah15

As stated previously, unless you have a 22 spline (which is on all early 1990 production T/E/L dsm vehicles), it will bolt up. It's just missing the second arm. Just take yours and bolt it in. It's a 2 bolt process. You can even see the holes where they go in the picture. No big deal.

Last edited:

raptorWagon

22 Spline were also found in 91 GVR4s as well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

jnava

Staff member
Raptorreed is correct. I had a 22 spline Tcase and output shaft. I replaced it with a 23 spline tcase and output shaft.

Boostin_AWD

The trans should work just fine regardless of spline count as long as you have a matching spline tcase...? As far as the shift arm goes. There is no way its for another vehicle. You only have the arm for forward and back, no up and down. That trans would only have 3rd and 4th right now. As mentioned you just need to unbolt your old one and install it. All should be well then..

maxash0775

Just picked up trans. Hope to have it up and running in the next few days. Will update thread. Everyone cross your fingers.

Thanks

raptorWagon

Quoting Boostin_AWD:
The trans should work just fine regardless of spline count as long as you have a matching spline tcase...?

Which if he has the stock drivetrain, it's more than likely a 22spline, but visually inspecting spline count is the only true for sure way to determine what transfer case he has, unless it is a 23 spline and he's not telling us that info. Otherwise he's about to find out the hard way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Boostin_AWD

Quoting raptorreed:
Quoting Boostin_AWD:
The trans should work just fine regardless of spline count as long as you have a matching spline tcase...?

Which if he has the stock drivetrain, it's more than likely a 22spline, but visually inspecting spline count is the only true for sure way to determine what transfer case he has, unless it is a 23 spline and he's not telling us that info. Otherwise he's about to find out the hard way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

But even if that is the case, trans 23 spline and tcase 22 spline, sourcing a 23 spline tcase in cali shouldn't be that difficult.

5OF2k

Or, you could simply swap tcase output shafts....it's cake!

-Jake

Boostin_AWD

Good point. I never thought of that option. I had to replace my output shaft seal (requires output shaft removal). It wasn't that bad at all. Did it at home in my garage with simple hand tools.

Last edited:

maxash0775

Project complete!!! Well after getting my trans in yesterday to find out it does t shift to today taking it off and putting it back on again it has been a fun 24 hours. Here's the scenario...

The transmission I got was a 90 according to the tranny code. Well aparetly the 90 awd tranny is different in the shifter cable area, bracket and shift lever. Didn know that going in. I installed the tranny slapped everything back on and ... No bueno. It would not shift and with all the issues I've had I thought the worst. Did research and got different anwers everywhere. One said you need new cables, the other said the shift bracket and another tells you to get the 90" linkage bracket that bolts to the tranny. I am here to tell you All was incorrect. The ONLY thing wrong with my setup (92 tranny in a 91 by PO) was that I did not transfer over the shift lever that controls the gears from my old tranny to the new one. The 90 shift lever arm was about a half inch shorter that the 92 arm on my tranny. That was enough to cause it to bind when trying to shift.

I had to remove my tranny to get to the little set pin that holds the arm in place.

It's now all together and running. Just want to thank everyone who hS assisted me with this issue. Thank you thank you

5OF2k

Good deal, glad you have it figured out!

Im confused though, honestly:

I'm running a '90 unit in my car now, with a 91+ T/E/L shifter base, GVR4 cables, and the '90 selector linkage without issue. The only thing I had to switch was the bolt-on selector linkage, everything else worked perfectly and give it a bit of a "short shifter" feel.....?

Either way though, Im glad you got it together and functional! Be sure to check for clutch drag, it'd be a shame to toast the synchros!!

-Jake

maxash0775

Hey Jake, funny you should mention that, I do have some clutch drag now. Did you? How did you fix it . I will do a search for it but I figure if you have same setup and issue you could give me some first hand experience.

Thanks

maxash0775

^^^ TY. Now I've heard of this issue and tryi g doing a google search for it. Why does my car now make a grinding sound ONLY when I turn right? Did not have any issues before. Now I was putting my car back together late at night so there could be something abou that. I also added a fidanza lightened flywheel.

Racah15

The only issue that findanza would cause if properly installed would be making loud noises under heavy load at low rpm (ex:wot in 5th @20mph). No sure about only right turns, are you sure you wheel isn't hitting the fender liner? Another video possibly?

EMX5636

Quoting 5OF2k:

I'm running a '90 unit in my car now, with a 91+ T/E/L shifter base, GVR4 cables, and the '90 selector linkage without issue. The only thing I had to switch was the bolt-on selector linkage, everything else worked perfectly and give it a bit of a "short shifter" feel.....?

-Jake

I purposely found a 90 trans for my faceplated gearset to put in my Galant for the shorter throws. Just be sure to put shifter stops on the shifter! You can and probably will break either a shift rail or a fork by over-extending them with the 91+ shifter. Curtis has done a few for people, or I could as well if you aren't capable. It's really simple if you pull it apart and look at it.

5OF2k

Yknow, i've heard of people having issues with this time and time again, but i've NEVER done it, and never had an issue. BUT, i dont bang fears like im driving a honda either.... I understand the trans's limitations i suppose. In my opinion, wothq properly setup trans/clutch/linkage, you dont need to "bang" the gears, and therefpre dont have to worry about ruining a trans..... I do understand, however, not everyone has the same mindset as i do... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned