The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Electrical issue?

Fiascoxl

I had a alternator problem a few days ago with it most likely being the voltage regulator, the volts would climb up to 17 with anything higher than 3k rpms. So I replaced it with the OEM alternator that came with the car. Now my problem is when I was checking various things, I had the main 100 amp power fuse out and forgot about it and cranked the engine over. As soon as I did this I blew a few fuses instantly, my seat belt stopped working and the light on the door stopped too. Also the sunroof is blowing fuses as soon as I put them in. Does anyone know what I did wrong or where I need to start checking first? Thankfully my seat belt is stuck closed but when I opened the passenger side it open and stayed open, now I have the stupid seat belt light flashing constantly! Any help is appreciated!

5OF2k

Sounds like a short somewhere, for sure. Time to DL the service manuals and start checking related circuits/wires one at a time! I do believe the windows/belts/radio/etc are on the same circuits, but its been a while since ive had to look at the body wiring diagram so i could be wrong..

-Jake

Fiascoxl

Thanks for the suggestion, I have a short in the sunroof wiring somewhere. I probed both sides of the fuse (+ to one side and - to the other) and got 12v. So this means I have a grounded circuit in the wiring somewhere correct? Both spots on the fuse also get 12v when the negative is grounded too. Ugh, I guess it is time to start tearing into it.

5OF2k

Wait, what?

What you need to do, is remove the fuse, leave the neg lead of the DVOM on a ground source, and place the pos lead of the DVOM on one sife of the box to see if there's power, then move the lead to the other side and see if there's power. THat will give you a general idea as to which side of the circuit said short is.

For instance, if you try it on a known good circuit(fuse removed, of course), you'll notice only ONE side of the fuse box will have power to it. When you add a fuse, it basically "bridges" the current and completes the circuit.

Does that make sense?

-Jake

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned