The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Calling all transmission gurus!

maxash0775

So the mechanic working on my trans can't locate a part for reverse. Here is a picture of it. Does anyone know where I can get it? It is the rod and littler real piece with the number 11 stamped on it.

It's number 56

Last edited:

maxash0775

I relied on the me Janice who said he called and they can't get it but I will give them a try also for due diligence.

maxash0775

I just used caps to find part number. Will call dealer tomorow. Whn I punch in google search it appears to be available at multiple places on line.

dsm10o0

I may have one for you. Ill check my parts transmission if it still has it.

Barnes

Don't bother trying to replace just the little cast piece that is pinned to the shaft. Just buy the entire 5th/reverse shift rail. Just make sure you compare the new one, to the one you have. I don't remember specifically, but some shift rails have changed over the years.

maxash0775

Sorry if I was unclear, but you are correct. I am looking to replace the entire rail. Will have to wait till Monday to contact local dealer. I will let you know what they charge. When I order it, how will I know if its the correct one? If I am using caps and put my VIN in shouldn't that be the correct one?

maxash0775

Called the dealer and the response was " that part is obsolete and longer available". Thats what you really want to here!!

mitsuturbo

Quoting maxash0775:
Also lookin at a 1g tranny rebuilt by TRE stage one never installed. Will any 1g manual trans 23 spline work?

tr

No. You'll need the shift rail assembly specific to your transmission.

Street Surgeon

Uuuuuuuuuuuum, yes it sure will work if the following conditions are met:

1. You currently use a 23spline tcase, then it's a no brainer direct bolt-in.

2. If you have a 22spline tcase on the GVR4 there's a simple fix. Simply remove the 1G trans' 5th gear cover, slide out the 23 spline output shaft, and slide in the 22 spline shaft from the trans that you already have. Bingo, you can now use a 22 spline tcase on your "23 spline" trans.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned