The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

running a federal ecu on a CA emission car (Edit: Now with even more emissions ?

idreamidrive

Sorry for this being my first post, but I have a problem

About to buy a gvr4 and the owners were nice enough to replace the battery, but in doing so... I guess the ecu got fried. I half assed search for my answer and got a maybe, but does anybody know if a federal ecu will "work" in a CA emissions car?

Last edited:

moduleunknown

It will work.

The only difference I'm aware of is the EGR system. CA car has an EGR solenoid operated by the ECU and an EGR temp sensor that monitors the system. Federal car does not have an EGR solenoid and uses a thermal valve.

A Stock federal ECU will not operate your EGR system.

This doesn't mean you can't pass CA smog though. I passed emissions with a bad EGR valve (failed for the valve functionality of course). All they check as far as functionality of the valve; they connect a vacuum pump to open it and see that it alters your idle - making the car stumble and almost die (or die out). That test can be passed as long as a valve exists (and none of the passages are blocked) on the car regardless of whether or not the entire system is functioning properly.

I just went through all this myself.

If there are any other differences, hopefully someone will chime in.

Last edited:

idreamidrive

I didnt want to bombard this place with my stupid posts so I am adding it to here.

I have a new problem.

Went to go get the car smogged and since I had no idea what the car would do since I bought it out of state I had a pretest done. It passed with flying colors, but they said the timing was advanced to 15. They also found a sensor unplugged and plugged it back in before running the test for real. They set the timing to 5. Apparently these two things killed me, as now I am a gross polluter on idle for the HC. The thing that kills me is that it was idling like crap after they set the timing and never adjusted the idle screw. So I am thinking the combo of this and maybe what ever the sensor is might be what made my HC bounce up.

emissions_zpsfb55020f.jpg

Anybody know what this sensor is for?

Thanks in advanced to anyone that helps. I can send hand made PB&J's through the mail for help

toybreaker

iconoclast
pm me your phone number and I can walk you thru a few things to check/verify before you re-test.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned