The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Water pump weep hole leaking on fresh motor

Hey guys, actually posting for a friend here. He purchased #1240/2000 from a guy we worked with and because of a the mounting bracket on the block being broken it now has a new (rebuilt) motor in it. It has not been run. We just finished filling oil and doing last minute checks for loose wires, lines, etc. I filled the radiator with about one gallon of coolant and there is a pretty big leak coming from the water pump weep hole. The engine has NEVER been started in this configuration. A little research suggests that the seal/bearing on the inside of the water pump is bad. Can anyone confirm? Is there any thing else to check before pulling the pump? That is a lot of work and he is already starting to lose motivation. We really want to get this running soon for him before he loses steam on the project, considering he hasn't even gotten to drive it yet. Thanks in advance for any help guys, we really appreciate it. I was directed here by the previous owner Rick, I think his username was like 16gcrazy or something.

EHmotorsports

If its coming from the service hole then I would say its time for a new water pump.

theevozero

If its coming from the weap hole, it needs to be replaced. I would make sure its not coming from the main water pipe o-ring before removing the pump. That large o-ring can tear easily if you arent careful installing. Use some sort of silicone lube when installing it.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned