The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Weird sticking throttle issue

AWDPower

My car had a strange sticking throttle issue. It only sticks when fully closed, and only when returned to closed rapidly. If I jump off the throttle, it takes quite a bit of pressure to get the pedal to budge, then it's fine. It also only happens when the engine is running, and is 100% repeatable. If I ease off, it doesn't stick. The cables and throttle body itself appear to opperate smoothly. I'm thinking it's related to the cruise control. The sticking doesn't feel like mechanical binding, it feels like vacuum is working against the pedal. Any ideas?

toybreaker

iconoclast
Have you had the closed throttle switch out or adjusted it recently?

Might be the edge of the throttle plate digging into the bore. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Might give the c.i.s a half a turn in and see if that helps matters.

How clean is the throttle body/plate?

A varnishy carbon can build up there and stick things up a bit.

... this usually happens when it's wet outside and/or on the first start of the day, but it can also manifest itself when you're working a trailing throttle on decel and the plate is working against a strong vacuum.

Last edited:

AWDPower

I had the throttle body off and cleaned it, but I left the idle switch alone. I adjusted the throttle cable. I worked the throttle by hand with the engine off, and couldn't duplicate it. I can duplicate the problem at idle.

mooserage

Staff member
Cruise control caused mine to stick when I had it, I got rid of it because it was just flat out dangerous at that point and really uncomfortable. Just a thought. Toybreaker is a genius though and you should thoroughly check everything he suggests. Seriously.

AWDPower

I'll recheck everything. The good thing is that it is very easy to duplicate. I think I'll cause the problem so that the pedal sticks, but instead of freeing it, I'll check the throttle and see if it's stuck. If the cruise is the problem, I should be able to easily move the throttle by hand. If I can't, I'll have it narrowed down. Thanks for the help.

HHIVR4

Quoting mooserage:
Cruise control caused mine to stick when I had it, I got rid of it because it was just flat out dangerous at that point and really uncomfortable. Just a thought. Toybreaker is a genius though and you should thoroughly check everything he suggests. Seriously.

I had that same problem on 138.Deleted cruise and got a non cruise cable.Problem solved.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts