The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Crankwalk

The_Big_Weave

Picked up a 92 galant motor for my colt swap and was doing a timing belt...when I put the crank pulley back on I was pushing on it and I felt a pop and a thud on the tranny side of the motor /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif. Guessing that it has around a 1/8 inch of play back and forth, think I could just replace the bearings and get away with it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Galantvr4559

pull it apart and rebuild it. Crankwalk is a serious matter and to not be taken lightly especially when you are gonna be putting the motor in a car and driving it. The crank might be damaged along with the block.

beaner

Pulling apart a crankwalked block and rebuilding it is the equivalent of flushing 50 dollar bills down the toilet. You need to take that block to the scrap yard and source another one. It is donezo, kaput, finished. You can find a stock turbo shortblock for around 300 bucks if you look hard enough.

The_Big_Weave

I plan on using it to finish the colt build, running it till she blows then looking for another one.

Barnes

I agree with beaner, but that being said you can run a crankwalking 1g a surprisingly long time since there is no crankangle sensor that gets eaten up.

beaner

I think you're crazy swapping a walked block IN a car. I had a block start to walk on me and drove around for 8-900 miles in denial before I couldn't take it anymore. Random light clutch pedal making the trans grind, dying at red lights, dying when turning left. It was frustrating. I tried my hardest to blow that thing up the week before I yanked it but she wouldn't pop. When I pulled it all apart it had about the same play you're starting with. Sooooo have fun with that.

doggietom

Pull the motor apart and save the good parts before they can't be saved.don't waste your time with install just to pull it shortly later.

GreenGSX

Before you decide to do anything drop the oil pan and see what's going on. Pull the main bearing caps one at a time and look to see how bad it is. If the crank looks OK just put a new set of stock sized bearings in. You can do it all with engine still in the car. Just pull the caps and spin the upper bearings out, one at a time, by carefully tapping them with a small screw driver. Lube up the new bearings and spin them back in. It will take a couple of hours and $60 and in my opinion, its totally taking a shot fixing it before pulling the engine.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned