The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Timing belt problem

NickDromez

anybody know what could have caused this? (timing belt stripped where the crank sprocket is at)

pauleyman

I can't see what you're describing. Teeth missing? The belt got old and/or oil soaked.

NickDromez

the belt stripped at the crank sprocket. belt only had ~12k miles on it

Barnes

Couple possible causes. You'll probably find out after you pull the timing cover and t-belt. My first suspect would be oil because I see a lot of oiliness. Also, your timing cover is really messed up. There is no telling what could have gotten at your timing belt with such a gaping hole.

NickDromez

yea i shoulda added that the timing cover was all messed up, the crank pully had been rubbing on it and it was hella worn out, also there is alot of oil leaking but could that really strip a belt like that. it litterally happened in like 5 minutes.

ggsxkid

Yup..... if the belt gets soaked long enough it will get soft/strip the teeth. A bad coolant leak could also cause it. Now there is a possibility that you didn't bend valves. I had the same thing happen to a friend of mine while his was sitting at idle. Now to our surprise when we pulled the head no valves were bent. But most likely if you were driving while it died like that you bent valves.

NickDromez

Phew, I'm glad to hear that, I had a horrible coolant leak not too long ago that could have easily soaked the belt, and I'm guilty to say I ignored it and kept putting more coolant so I wouldn't overheat. Also I'm glad to hear that my valves could possibly be ok, ill find it out tomorrow. I was at idle when it died, however I did try to turn it back on again which makes me nervous.

Today I did get it to run without any super bad noises, there is rattle but its a suspected exhaust leak, ill take video and post it later. I'm doing a compression test and leak down test tomorrow and will let u all know what's up.

Whoodoo

Trying to turn it on again is bad. When my t-belt went, my dad cranked it again and after taking the head off, there were half moons in pairs on the top of my pistons. You might have gotten lucky if you didn't hear any bad noises.

Barnes

My friends GF had a '92 talon that had the t-belt strip off the crank sprocket. We just assumed it had wrecked valves but when we took the head off and took it to the shop it was completely fine. If we had just put a belt on it would have been fine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

mitsuturbo

I had that happen when my oil pump seized. The belt stopped because the OP sprocket would not turn, but the crank kept spinning.. cams stopped too. I wound up having to replace my bearings, 2 bent valves, and the oil pump, after a whole lot of cleaning.

Just check and make sure everything spins like it should.

broxma

Same thing happened to Steve's car, oil pump sprocket locked up but instead of the teeth coming off, the belt just skipped. In your case, couple than with a petroleum soaked belt and I can see the teeth giving way first. If it's any consolation, Steve's valves were also ok even after he repeatedly tried to start the car in that condition. If you get lucky and the valves are pretty close to being closed, the pistons will miss them.

/brox

NickDromez

i havnt really had time to work on it this week, but ill make sure to check the oil pump and pray my valves are good

NickDromez

so i did a compression test and leak down test to see if any valves were bent. good news and bad news, valves are good. bad news, engine is still not running right.

compression was highest at 150 and lowest at 148.
leak down lowest at a 8% leak, and highest at 11% leak. - tested at 90psi, leaked down to about 80-84psi

i put my motor mount back and on and it made the engine feel a little better, however its still running real sloppy, it feels like its got fat cams and the exhaust smells like gas and when i rev the engine the whole thing shakes and makes an ugly sound. also i put a timing light on it and it was at 45*, i know its supposed to be at 5*btdc.

my questions are: do the balance shafts have anything to do with the shaking? do you have to align any sprockets with the balance shafts?
my timing is way off and do i have to realign the timing belt to get timing better or do i have to set timing through the computer?

thanks.

Barnes

Don't run your car anymore. It sounds like you royally screwed up when you put the belts back on. You obviously didn't realize that YES your balance shaft sprocket alignment is CRITICAL to the engine running correctly. That would probably explain the horrible shaking. You probably also have your cam sprockets timed incorrectly.

Did you follow the VFAQ to a 't' when you put the belts back on? http://www.vfaq.com/mods/timingbelt-1G.html

If not, read the VFAQ over and over until you completely understand it. Then go back and re-do the t-belt job.

NickDromez

so i got the car running again, but now im tryna set my idle since its hunting. im looking for the engine speed connector, or if anyone could point me in the right direction on how to get idle to stop hunting that would be nice

NickDromez

well the car is done an up and runnning, im proud of my work but i must admit i dont like doing a timing belt on these cars, especially if the engine is still in the car

Barnes

So was it done incorrectly when you did it the first time?

524of1000

Quoting NickDromez:
well the car is done an up and runnning, im proud of my work but i must admit i dont like doing a timing belt on these cars, especially if the engine is still in the car

You get used to it...

NickDromez

Quoting Barnes:
So was it done incorrectly when you did it the first time?

the reason it stripped was 'cause of a huge coolant leak. and when i put a new belt on i didnt align the balance shafts. its fine now, but it hunts hard for an idle

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts