The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Alternator replacement

Terry Posten

Since the post from Spott was removed, I wanted to give you all some quick tips on how to do this job in about 40 minutes.

Remove battery Ground terminal

Remove the top 2 radiator mounting tabs and lift the rad up and slide it to the passenger side and toward the AC condinsor as much as possible. pull the overflow and set aside.

Remove Oil filter (PITA, but worth it) because the pivot bolt nut is in a bad spot if you don't

Remove any IC pipe that may be in the way.

Unbolt and unclip wires from back of Alt

Unbolt top (slider) bolt assy

Unbolt bottom pivot bolt and remove

Remove alt by pulling up and out (radiator will allow for this to happen due to it being moved)

That takes about 15 minutes.

Reverse steps to install. About 20 minutes with tensioning of belt.

If you want, remove top front motor mount and support motor with a floor jack under the pan. Then you can raise and lower the motor as needed to remove the pivot bolt. Sometimes that hits the frame rail.

I did this job at the race track last year and was racing in less than an hour (I did not remove the oil filter either) using limited hand tools and working on Grass. It is really not that hard

steve

I marked this thread to "Keep" so it wont get trimmed. I will leave it here for a few days for comments and then move to How To section. Thanks!

DailyDSM

I 12mm ratcheting wrench is also a big help.

DR1665

Did you guys see the write up over on Talk about switching to a Saturn alternator? While we're on the subject of alternator replacement, it might be worthwhile to snag that info as well.

Maybe my set up is a bit different than most but here are my few tips

I kept the rad in. Took out the power steering pump and bracket, did not disconnect the line just bolts so I could move it a bit.

Take off the bolts, belt, Jpipe and plugs and it shimmied right out. I kept the oil filter, rad, fan, turbo, all in.

^^ That's how I do it too. I prefer it to moving the radiator method. But it doesn't matter. The main thing is work out what works best for you and get good at it because it will never be the last time you do it unless you sell the car.
Mike R.

Quote:
Maybe my set up is a bit different than most but here are my few tips

I kept the rad in. Took out the power steering pump and bracket, did not disconnect the line just bolts so I could move it a bit.

Take off the bolts, belt, Jpipe and plugs and it shimmied right out. I kept the oil filter, rad, fan, turbo, all in.

This is how I do it with the exception of sliding a peice of cardbord in to protect the rad fins while I wiggle it out, one of those thin plastic cutting boards also works very well.

I have also met people that drop the cross member and drop the alt instead. Many different ways I guess.

cheekychimp

Quote:
I did this job at the race track last year ... using limited hand tools and working on Grass

It's always nice to have some 'pot' handy to ease the pain of an alternator install.

Rausch

/ubbthreads/images//graemlins/rofl.gif yeah, terry has the hook up...why you think we drove all the way out there!! /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/rofl.gif

edit: although he seemed distracted by things though....see what i mean (paranoid!)
img.php

Last edited by a moderator:

steve

Trouble is, after the 40 minutes was up and everything was put back together, he realized he put the old alternator back in. /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/rofl.gif

JB

/ubbthreads/images//graemlins/rofl.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts