GalantVR4.org The Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Forum
NOTICE: This forum is for archiving information and discussions. Please do not reply to threads unless you have valuable information to add. Do not post questions or problems here.

Galant VR-4 Forums » Galant VR-4 » How To and Info Archive » Re: dime store anti lag device
Previous thread Next thread

Re: dime store anti lag device

Mitsuturbo
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 161420 posted 12/09/04 02:52 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Quote:

Quote:

Carl Morris here in Colorado thought that the Anti-Lag was awesome, that was until he snapped his turbo shaft in half (sleeper 16). Maybe he will see this and post pictures.

I think the issue with anti-lag is that there's no feedback control to the wastegate when it's operating. This along with minimal compression resistance since the BOV will be open, makes it really easy to overspin the turbo probably followed by a massive boost spike when the throttle is re-opened if the exhaust isn't well controlled.

I have had no issues with this "spiking" more than 1-2 psi over my set boost level.. but then again, i am running a Tial 38mm gate (manifold mounted), a Blitz DSBC-R EBC, and an HKS BOV. I highly doubt the BOV is open, due to the design.. and the Blitz keeps boost under control VERY well.

| | | IP: (24.10.133.85) | Report this post to a Moderator

RayH
561/1000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 161443 posted 12/09/04 03:41 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Carl Morris here in Colorado thought that the Anti-Lag was awesome, that was until he snapped his turbo shaft in half (sleeper 16). Maybe he will see this and post pictures.

I think the issue with anti-lag is that there's no feedback control to the wastegate when it's operating. This along with minimal compression resistance since the BOV will be open, makes it really easy to overspin the turbo probably followed by a massive boost spike when the throttle is re-opened if the exhaust isn't well controlled.

I have had no issues with this "spiking" more than 1-2 psi over my set boost level.. but then again, i am running a Tial 38mm gate (manifold mounted), a Blitz DSBC-R EBC, and an HKS BOV. I highly doubt the BOV is open, due to the design.. and the Blitz keeps boost under control VERY well.

Sorry, I was thinking about anti-lag used between shifts while lifting the throttle. In your case my concern would be about the intercooler getting heat soaked before the car gets moving.

Posts: 2700 | From: NJ | Member Since: 04/09/01 | IP: (167.211.190.2) | Report this post to a Moderator

Mitsuturbo
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 161630 posted 12/10/04 05:17 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
i understand where you're coming from. But this button setup is for launch control only.. as far as i am concerned.

It works REALLY nicely on the freeway though.. the noise will get just about anyone to bite for a race.. and when they punch it.. it's priceless seeing the look on your "opponent's" face as your car jumps forward and just keeps on keepin on, with the nose pointed skyward!

| | | IP: (24.10.133.85) | Report this post to a Moderator

Beemer
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 165125 posted 12/21/04 05:53 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Larry, you've got enough ways to break parts...let some other guys have some fun... Besides, the cloud of FOD you leave behind that car makes everyone else following you get flat tires...you don't need to set them on fire as well!!! (LOL)
Dave

| | | IP: (12.73.108.46) | Report this post to a Moderator

supervr4

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 165228 posted 12/21/04 11:17 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Has anybody else tried this yet?

I have a hooked it up, and when I press the button the idle drops off yet when I bring the revs up nothing happens

Posts: 426 | From: New Zealand, Cristchurch | Member Since: 10/13/03 | IP: (202.0.48.28) | Report this post to a Moderator

Hertz Galant VR4.org Administrator
OneTitle to rule them all.
77/2000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 234211 posted 07/08/05 08:20 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
*rehash* I want to move this into the archive... IF it works.

Ryan Hertz

Posts: 13500 | From: Chicago, IL | Member Since: 07/29/02 | IP: (68.254.141.70) | Report this post to a Moderator

Carl Morris
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 234257 posted 07/08/05 10:15 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Quote:

I still think it's awesome, but I more careful with it now. I run it at around 10*BTDC fixed, and I think that's OK with my Evo3 16g. I was running it at 6* when I broke the S16g. I notice the popping/banging sound that was very loud at 6 degrees isn't really there at 10 degrees, and I was told that's the key to knowing how much abuse you're putting the turbo through. Here's the link to the old thread with the pictures:

Thread 40786

Reading through it, it sounds like I experiment with 0 degrees at some point, now I'm forgetting where it was set when it broke.

| | | IP: (66.28.178.67) | Report this post to a Moderator

Pivvay
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 234258 posted 07/08/05 10:18 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
It did sound really nasty (in a good way) Carl. We will have to play around with low timing on my big shaft turbo. Maybe we can get it to spool that way

| | | IP: (162.18.17.229) | Report this post to a Moderator

twkd
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 234270 posted 07/08/05 10:51 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Everyone needs to check out the thread that Carl posted a link to. Broken parts rock.

Everyone should seriously considered cryo treating. It's a hidden gem. Some people think it's snake oil, but it really works. It's cheap, too.

I am going to use ffwd connection the next time I need to cryo something. It's the shiznit.

twkd

| | | IP: (68.206.0.156) | Report this post to a Moderator

Carl Morris
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 235135 posted 07/11/05 03:39 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post   
Quote:

It did sound really nasty (in a good way) Carl. We will have to play around with low timing on my big shaft turbo. Maybe we can get it to spool that way

Oh, I guarantee it :-). The difference on the stutterbox between normal timing and retarded timing was amazing. On that poor Sleeper 16g it was the difference between about 8psi versus opening the wastegate. That's how I finally got in the 1.6x 60' times and broke my 3 bolt axles :-).

| | | IP: (66.28.178.67) | Report this post to a Moderator

Pages: 1 | 2
Previous thread Next thread

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Galant VR4.org Moderator:  curtis, steve, atc250r, jcgalntvr4-244, cheekychimp, jepherz, Rausch, toybreaker, iceman69510, pot, FlyingEagle 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 8396

Rate this thread

News & Events: News | Events
Galant VR-4: Newbies | General VR4 Discussions | Technical Discussions | How To and Info Archive
Marketplace: Parts For Sale | Cars For Sale | Good Guys | Bad Guys
Community: Members' Showcase

Contact Us | Privacy statement GalantVR-4.org

Generated in 0.089 seconds in which 0.034 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Turbo powered.

Hertz's Galant VR-4 Page