GalantVR4.org The Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Forum
NOTICE: This forum is for archiving information and discussions. Please do not reply to threads unless you have valuable information to add. Do not post questions or problems here.

Galant VR-4 Forums » Galant VR-4 » How To and Info Archive » Changed the lifters, my knuckles still hurt
Previous thread Next thread

Changed the lifters, my knuckles still hurt

mitsuvr4
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 109401 posted 12/19/03 03:56 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Just a note to all those ticking lifter owners out there.

I bought the 3rd gen lifters from Eagle Warehouse.
http://www.eagleautomotivewarehouse.com/

Great price, great service, shipped and arrived quickly.

In addition to the lifters I'd get a new valve cover gasket, that "halfmoon" gasket for the passenger side cam end, four spark plug gaskets, new oil cap, and a PCV valve. With all these replaced you shouldn't be leaking anything topside for awhile. Here's where I got mine:
http://www.dsmparts.com/maintenance__dsm.htm

Now for the fun of installing them.

I read the Vfaq and they make it sound like a cake walk. I suppose compared to dropping the tranny or putting in a 4 bolt rearend it may be?

Tools I used. 1 large standard screw driver (read: prybar), 1 smaller standard screw driver for secondary leverage and prying, 1 magnetic retrieval stick, 15mm (?) socket with breakerbar for turning the cams.

Valve cover was sealed...REALLY sealed. I had to pry it off with a rather large screw driver, which you'll use extensively during the lifter change.

After getting the valve cover off I made a funny discovery from a previous owner or oil changer. There was a plastic ring from a quart of oil floating around in there. I'm hoping there aren't more floating around in other parts of my engine? [Big Grin]

If you've nevered changed lifters before be ready for the three P's. Patients, Power, and Pop.

The first roller bearing you leverage off goes quick and pops off with some distance as it's goal. The first one flew over my head and across the garage. Note to self, cover area with rag before leveraging the next one. The sound and feel is that you've broke it, you haven't, but it scared the shit out of me.

Also I highly suggest three rags for the oil return channels. Stuff them shut so you don't lose anything down there, that would suck!

I got all of the lifters out except for one set that required some turning of the cams for clearance. I felt lery torquing on the cams but the timing belt didn't skip and they did turn, so I could finish the job.

All and all about two hours of slipping screw drivers and scuffed knuckles.

Once I get my new FMIC installed I'll be able to test it and see if lifters will run unlike a ticking bomb?

Lastly, the holes on the 3rd gen lifters are HUGE compared to my stockers. Like 3 or 4 times larger in diameter.

Just sharing my experience,

| | | IP: (134.29.244.198) | Report this post to a Moderator

4G63_GSR
Member +++

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 109402 posted 12/19/03 04:30 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
wanna do mine? [Big Grin] thanks for the layout. I get a lot of lifter noise and need to fix that soon. Off note, what are the consequences of not fixing your loud lifters?

Posts: 852 | From: wis | Member Since: 01/22/03 | IP: (12.30.156.36) | Report this post to a Moderator

Aaron

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 109403 posted 12/19/03 04:35 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
hello 4G63_GSR, i am going to be doing mine after the holidays, if you are around milwaukee, we could probably do your car too. [Smile]

Posts: 1233 | From: Milwaukee | Member Since: 02/25/03 | IP: (68.74.199.233) | Report this post to a Moderator

Aaron

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 109404 posted 12/19/03 04:37 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
quote:
Originally posted by 4G63_GSR:
...what are the consequences of not fixing your loud lifters?

I am getting massive knock counts....

Posts: 1233 | From: Milwaukee | Member Since: 02/25/03 | IP: (68.74.199.233) | Report this post to a Moderator

GVR1643
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 109405 posted 12/19/03 04:40 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
quote:
Originally posted by 4G63_GSR:
wanna do mine? [Big Grin] thanks for the layout. I get a lot of lifter noise and need to fix that soon. Off note, what are the consequences of not fixing your loud lifters?

1) you could actually have a collapsed lifter not working properly (I did on the white car)
2) knock sensor will pick it up retard your timing

Second that with covering the oil drain holes. I lost one of the tiny keepers down mine - just once though. Covered the rest up before moving on.

| | | IP: (167.142.21.192) | Report this post to a Moderator

mitsuvr4
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 109406 posted 12/19/03 04:43 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
quote:
I am getting massive knock counts....
Ditto...was getting I should say. I'll post back up when I get the car running and logged.

| | | IP: (134.29.244.198) | Report this post to a Moderator

Jayru
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 109407 posted 12/19/03 05:19 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
After cursing and screaming for about 2 hours, i loosend the cams enough to lift them about an inch. Took me 10 minutes after that.

No prying or flying lifters. Just my suggestion.

| | | IP: (24.238.86.16) | Report this post to a Moderator

ken inn
BJ Titsengolf lifer

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 109408 posted 12/20/03 06:59 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
having changed out the cams in my car, if i ever do the lifters, that is how i'll do it. tie wrap the timing belt to the cams, loosen the tensioner, and remove the cams. it's really not hard, and is very quick.

Posts: 7529 | From: krum texas | Member Since: 02/23/01 | IP: (4.47.42.108) | Report this post to a Moderator

TurboVR4dr
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 109409 posted 12/20/03 11:09 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Once you get the valave cover off it's about a 20 minute job with the right prybar. I screwdriver makes it a lot harder.

Scott

| | | IP: (205.188.208.172) | Report this post to a Moderator

Bobbo
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 109410 posted 12/20/03 08:16 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
You want the 4G64 lifters correct? To my recollection, the 4g64 are the 3G.

| | | IP: (66.119.33.170) | Report this post to a Moderator

91GVR4
1773/2000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 109411 posted 12/20/03 09:34 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
No,No,....3g lifters are the third revision to the 4G63 lifters. Mitsu has revised the lifters three times because they sucked. Go to the eagle parts link and see, they are great guys to deal with. Mine will be in Monday. Whoho! No more lifter tick, No more knock count!!

Posts: 432 | From: Wasilla, AK | Member Since: 02/14/03 | IP: (216.201.50.36) | Report this post to a Moderator

Luke
201/2000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 109412 posted 12/22/03 05:09 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
How do you guys seal the valve cover back on ?
I used RTV all around the perimeter, and it's leaking.

I think the instruction manual says no RTV except for a few specific places. I'm going to redo mine with less RTV and see if the leak goes away.

Oh yeah, the new 3rd gen lifters are awesome. My car is so quiet now..
I guess it also helps that I replaced my old balance belt which has stripped teeth! [Eek!]

Posts: 752 | From: San Jose, CA | Member Since: 07/16/02 | IP: (209.213.198.25) | Report this post to a Moderator

Alex Morales
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 109413 posted 12/22/03 05:38 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
I actually cleaned up the perimeter of the head real good and didnt put any RTV. One fresh set of gaskets and all is good in the valve cover world......

Alex.

| | | IP: (66.159.176.118) | Report this post to a Moderator

Luke
201/2000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 109414 posted 12/24/03 02:42 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
I redid the valve cover with RTV _only_ at the places specified by the manual.

So far, it seems to be not leaking ( just one day ). Or at least, leaking much less than before.
It took me forever to clean up all the RTV that I applied just a few days before.

Also, one thing that probably helped on the second time around is that I used torque wrench set to 2 lb-ft ( very low ) to tighten it, instead of just doing it by feel.

I was also told to tighten it in steps. So I did 1 lb-ft all the way around, followed by 2 lb-ft.

It's probably overkill, but I'm getting very tired off the oil leak.
Hopefully, no more oil leak now.. Next is to clean my engine bay.

Posts: 752 | From: San Jose, CA | Member Since: 07/16/02 | IP: (209.213.198.25) | Report this post to a Moderator

91GVR4
1773/2000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 109415 posted 12/27/03 04:49 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post   
okey I got my lifters in yesterday, yippy!. They clattered like mad for a good bit after I started it, but a little run around the block a few times and they filled up. The car is so quite now! In fact it makes so little noise that I found out that my crank pulley is shot. I can hear it rubbing now.
I didn't have much trouble at all with the lifters, I used a craftsman 13" flat screwdriver and had lots of leverage. After the first few the rest went like clockwork. Only one flew behind the engine [Big Grin] . Now I need bigger injectors to stop my WOT knock. At least I know it is real knock now. Happy modding everyone.

Posts: 432 | From: Wasilla, AK | Member Since: 02/14/03 | IP: (63.156.32.46) | Report this post to a Moderator

Pages: 1
Previous thread Next thread

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Galant VR4.org Moderator:  curtis, steve, atc250r, jcgalntvr4-244, cheekychimp, jepherz, Rausch, toybreaker, iceman69510, pot, FlyingEagle 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 3310

Rate this thread

News & Events: News | Events
Galant VR-4: Newbies | General VR4 Discussions | Technical Discussions | How To and Info Archive
Marketplace: Parts For Sale | Cars For Sale | Good Guys | Bad Guys
Community: Members' Showcase

Contact Us | Privacy statement GalantVR-4.org

Generated in 0.111 seconds in which 0.045 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Turbo powered.

Hertz's Galant VR-4 Page