The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

HSM1118 [Item awaiting publishing]

holeshotmoe

I've been "building" since I bought it nearly 20 years ago. It was mostly stock back then. I really wanted to be documenting everything, but many times I was "building" just so I could get to work! :wtf: So I didn't have much time to write it down. Back then, mods were mostly bolt ons. My current build, still in progress, began a few years ago, and it started with the "Big Bang". I'll begin with that "experience".
I had taken this picture the day before...

IMG_9427.JPG

Last edited:

holeshotmoe

So its Jan 21, 19 degrees, about 60 mph, downshifted to third to pass the slow dogs, before darting right to take the Pennsylvania Ave exit off the inner loop of the DC beltway. I was accellerating 2 or 3 seconds before... Booom!!!
Lots of smoke and steam, no power, can't see out the windshield, fearful expressions in cars next to me, as I threateningly jinked right a few times to force them to give me some space to make it to the shoulder! I did make the shoulder just before the exit lane began. Popping the hood, only thing I see is some oil spatter on the firewall

IMG_9450.JPG
Dip underneath and see this
IMG_9452.JPG
...which meant this
IMG_9455.JPG
A few weeks later, I saw this in a parking lot,
IMG_9583.JPG
... "and I was thinking to myself, this could be heaven or this could be ..."
(depending on who administers it, right?) 👩‍⚕️👩‍🦰👸

Last edited:

holeshotmoe

The rollback drops me off up the hill from the garage and I coast inside. With the freezing weather, I'm not enthused about starting the teardown in the middle of winter in an unheated garage, but for the first time since I've owned it, I had a little bit of $ set aside, and a good reason to spend it. So I start with the plugs and this is No. 1
IMG_9609.JPG
Looks like we ran out of room in there. I pull the timing belt and valve covers off to see the belt is good, and none of the rockers were kicked out (an indicator of piston/valve contact). Exhaust mani comes off and No. 1 is sopping wet
IMG_9652.JPG
The head comes off and I noticed something missing. One of the cans is
IMG_9687.JPG
...gone! :jawdrop:
I flip the head over and yeah, definitely had some problems with this cylinder.
IMG_9675.JPG
The other ones were wet, but not like No. 1
IMG_9677.JPG
Back to the block, I look down into No.1. Still can't find the piston! But what is that hanging from the crank?
IMG_9714.JPG
It looks like a rod cap! I reach down into the hole, and with my finger I spin it 180 deg.
IMG_9724.JPG
Huh? That's the bottom of a rod! So missing piston, rings, pin, half a rod, and where's the other bolt?
Sheesh...so I lean over the back of the block and in front of the A/C compressor I see this gaping hole
IMG_9718.JPG
IMG_9698.JPG
and various shrapnel scattered about the place
IMG_9720.JPG
In the front of the block there is another hole
IMG_9783.JPG

Last edited:

holeshotmoe

Took a few weeks off because it was cold! Beginning of March I dropped the pan to see what I can see.
IMG_9838.JPG
Mama Mia! The oil pickup took hits, the main cap bridge is snapped in half, there's another hole (heart shaped just above the rear balance shaft), rear balance shaft is bent and locking the oil pump. You engine building pros can chime in anytime to suggest how this may have come about. But check ahead first because there are a few more details that may be relevant. I still don't know for sure what caused the engine to grenade, so I'm documenting here in hopes the experienced guys can shed some light.
Another hole here
IMG_9846.JPG
The front balance shaft is bent
IMG_9852.JPG
And two more holes
IMG_9878A.jpg
So what's in the bowl??? Something slamed into the baffle, breaking a weld and damaging it on the right!
IMG_9854.JPG
Tilted the pan everything poured to one end :-O
IMG_9855.JPG
Poured all the pieces from the pan and what was scattered around into a sieve and cleaned them
IMG_9868.JPG
Do you see that broken rod bolt? Could that have broken, causing everthing to come apart??? But notice the nut has been hit multiple times...could it have broken from collisions with the other parts???
FSAT8204.JPG
And finally, here is the bottom of the rod that was hanging on the crank. Check out them bearing surfaces! Looks like 40 or 50 collisions on the left.
IMG_9917.JPG

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned