GalantVR4.org The Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Forum
Galant VR-4 Forums » Galant VR-4 » General VR4 Discussions » Re: The ultimate street galant in the making? Cheekychimp's
Previous thread Next thread

Re: The ultimate street galant in the making? Cheekychimp's

cheekychimp Galant VR4.org Moderator
Director of Housing and Urban Development, and carbon/kevlar balls

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 253169 posted 09/02/05 11:48 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Well come on Al, don't keep me in suspense, what's the verdict? ... and what 'exactly' has/has not been done ... put me out of my misery ...

Getting old sucks ... but it sure beats the alternative !!!

Posts: 7315 | From: East Sussex, U.K. | Member Since: 04/19/04 | IP: (219.78.153.143) | Report this post to a Moderator

Bimmubishi
giant log

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 253173 posted 09/02/05 11:54 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
PM sent. Assorted parts from FWD Mirage found piled inside with a letter "gone on vacation"

Just kidding! It's perfect.

Posts: 5701 | From: Boston, Massachusetts | Member Since: 07/15/03 | IP: (65.174.55.100) | Report this post to a Moderator

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 253179 posted 09/02/05 12:10 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
NOT FUNNY !!! ... is 5th a standard gear or my taller one? Cryo treatment is $200 if it's not on the bill it's a good bet he hasn't done it same as forgetting the EGT probe and engine block magnet I reminded him about three times ... sigh !!!

OK ... need some advice guys ... very serious. I realize TRE are busy, and Im absolutely sure the work that went into this was top notch. BUT the fact remains that because of the much higher gearing on this, a double synchro 1st and 2nd was considered almost mandatory because of the very high likelihood of needing to change down to 2nd and 1st more than with standard ratios. Since that couldn't be done with the RS 1st and 2nd, it was suggested a full US spec gearset 1st to 4th be used. This was also what Jon recommended because he said the RS gearset wasn't as strong as the US gears. I also explicitly asked for cryo treatment because the engine is almost certainly going to make more than 400 ft/lbs of torque.

So should I;

(a) just take it as is ... drive it like I stole it and see what happens? (bearing in mind there are $3000 of diffs in there that will be pulverised if anything breaks !!!)

(b) beg Al to send it back and get it cryoed and the 1st 2nd standard ratios fitted with double synchros?;

or (c) take it, baby it and never get to use it to it's full potential?

Help me out guys, I'm feeling rock bottom about this.

Posts: 7315 | From: East Sussex, U.K. | Member Since: 04/19/04 | IP: (219.78.153.143) | Report this post to a Moderator

Bimmubishi
giant log

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 253187 posted 09/02/05 12:20 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
I choose A. Any damage as a result of non cryo'd parts will be to the gears and not the diffs. Better that be the weak point than the diffs.

Posts: 5701 | From: Boston, Massachusetts | Member Since: 07/15/03 | IP: (65.174.55.100) | Report this post to a Moderator

Pivvay
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 253189 posted 09/02/05 12:21 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Get it fixed now how YOU want it. It's TRE's job to do the work or tell you they won't, especially in a timely manner. This is the reason I don't like dealing with Jon. I know many older guys have great experiences with him but he treated me pretty poorly before and during the sale, forgot other things I wanted to buy from him that I reminded him about repeatedly and didn't even get the transmission speced the way I wanted. He did take care of EVERYTHING so I didn't lose money including paypaling me cash to get the correct t-case. He is a good guy and does good work eventually. But my experience with the whole situation led me to never want to deal with him again.

Just my $0.02. This was 3 years ago so I can't comment first hand on today but this thread certainly doesn't make me want to give him my business.

<flame suit on>

| | | IP: (162.18.17.229) | Report this post to a Moderator

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 253192 posted 09/02/05 12:22 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Well ... I actually did consider this, and it makes sense Al, but honestly speaking if a gear takes a crap in there will the diffs survive?

Paul.

BigUgly
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 253196 posted 09/02/05 12:27 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Get it done the way you want it right the first time. Send the shit back till tis right.

| | | IP: (66.0.49.36) | Report this post to a Moderator

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 253197 posted 09/02/05 12:27 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Alright next question. Is anything other than machining of the safts required necessary to fit a double synchro 1st and 2nd. I realize if we need cryo done it HAS to go back, but if we didn't do that could we just order a 1st 2nd gearset and shaft with the double synchros and have Al fit it?

Pivvay
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 253205 posted 09/02/05 12:33 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Why send it to Jon in the first place then unless Al doesn't want the work? (real question)

My theory is you payed for TRE's work. Their shimming, their knowledge, their experience. If you have Al fit the new gears than that changes and you payed for something you aren't getting.

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 253215 posted 09/02/05 12:44 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Yeah ... you are right Chris. Al, I really hate to say this but I think it's best if you tell the lads not to waste anymore time on it. I'm really really sorry but it has to go back with a message to Jon that:

a) Engine really is a fully built monster and realistically likely to put out over 500 ft/lbs ... so we asked for cryo and we want it cryoed;

b) If he thinks that the best option was a US spec gearset because it allows fitment of the double synchros and it is stronger, then that's what we should have fitted. What's the point of leaving it up to his better judgement if he does one thing and then says "if it were me I'd have done this instead"?

c) Ask what 5th gear is installed, I want the taller 5th for fuel economy on the highway and balls out top speed ... nothing more

d) Ask him to send me a freakin' egt probe and engine block magnet.

I'm sorry if I sound harsh, but the transmission is crucial, we can't leave it like this.

Paul.

Edited by cheekychimp (09/02/05 12:47 PM)

JB
Other

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 253220 posted 09/02/05 12:55 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      

JBiz

Half Man, Half Amazing

Posts: 5836 | From: MA | Member Since: 08/15/04 | IP: (68.162.196.178) | Report this post to a Moderator

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 253224 posted 09/02/05 01:04 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Of course Chris if you really wanted to help out, you could just give me your dogbox ...

a_santos
Brasileiro Turbinado

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 253252 posted 09/02/05 02:11 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Thats right. I wouldn't take it if it werent exactly how I asked it to be. What a freakin idiot this John.

Have him do it right, like you want it, or give you your money back.

Holset power will break non-cryod gears.

Abhay Schweitzer
www.techne-us.com

Posts: 2057 | From: San Diego, CA, USA | Member Since: 10/22/02 | IP: (68.41.75.130) | Report this post to a Moderator

Pivvay
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 253263 posted 09/02/05 02:55 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Quote:

Of course Chris if you really wanted to help out, you could just give me your dogbox ...

How much are you offering? lol

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 253267 posted 09/02/05 03:03 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
I couldn't afford it ... Al's not talking to me ... I've pissed him off ... now I'm in the shit !!!

Posts: 7315 | From: East Sussex, U.K. | Member Since: 04/19/04 | IP: (219.78.136.4) | Report this post to a Moderator

Pivvay
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 253270 posted 09/02/05 03:09 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Yea. The stupid thing is I think about getting another one. Dammit I promised myself I would only get one! I cannot afford another one.

Jonvr4
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 253273 posted 09/02/05 03:11 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
you are getting another box?

| | | IP: (67.190.123.174) | Report this post to a Moderator

Pivvay
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 253291 posted 09/02/05 03:36 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
No i'm not. I flat out cannot afford it. But I know of one for sale at a decent price so I cannot say i'm not tempted...

Bimmubishi
giant log

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 253326 posted 09/02/05 04:59 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
I don't want the work. I'll send it back to TRE and we can kiss it goodbye for 2 months, risk the liability of having a $6k transmission lost buy UPS with rare parts that are virtually irreplaceable.

Am I upset about the trans because the responsibility is on me to make this work. It probably takes about 4 hours a week to oversee this and that's not even on the parts that I sell/modify/make money from. That's phone, PM and other time boxing, moving, packing, sorting etc.

I don't have any interest or experience in creating a gearbox with a mish mash of parts and gears and don't want the liability of having something go wrong. Jon is the expert and this should be considered his project, only now I've become the project manager-volunteer.

Pivvay
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 253329 posted 09/02/05 05:26 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Bim,

It 100% sucks that you are in this position. I called Jon weekly at first and then DAILY (after many months) with promises almost everytime that it was "all done" or "shipping monday" blah blah. I hope it survives the trip there and back again and gets fixed.

| | | IP: (24.8.36.116) | Report this post to a Moderator

Bimmubishi
giant log

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 253333 posted 09/02/05 06:05 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
I feel bad for Paul and me because Paul doesn't have what he wants, and me, who was only the one to recieve and re-ship has now become an unwitting project manager.

Posts: 5701 | From: Boston, Massachusetts | Member Since: 07/15/03 | IP: (24.63.8.121) | Report this post to a Moderator

Pivvay
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 253334 posted 09/02/05 06:07 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Monkey in the middle

| | | IP: (24.8.36.116) | Report this post to a Moderator

Bimmubishi
giant log

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 253335 posted 09/02/05 06:11 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
The main problem here is communication. Paul, you created a custom box and from what I understand, there were several incompatibilities that you didn't forsee. The incompatibilities were in the shafts and gears and he dealt with them as best he knew how given what we both thought your car was going to do for power and it's rev limit, desired top speed etc.. Teet was talking to Jon initially right? I was talking to Jon, you were talking to Jon, the guy had to take orders from more than 3 people (in his defense) I don't know Jon but it seems like he knows what he's doing from where I stand. The trans looks beautiful it's too bad that it's not exactly what you want. Is it even possible to get the exact build you want? I'm by no means a trans expert so I have no idea.

Posts: 5701 | From: Boston, Massachusetts | Member Since: 07/15/03 | IP: (24.63.8.121) | Report this post to a Moderator

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 253373 posted 09/03/05 12:25 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Well, it's like you said basically communication is the problem. I am too far away to be honest. Looks like I'll just have to take this in the butt and accept the trans as is then. If it gets lost the whole project is down the tubes. It's just that there is no where in Hong Kong to build the trans if it goes wrong. Bottom line for me is I feel worried because I have so much money invested here and if the engine and turbo prove to be the demise of the box there will be no-one to fix it ... period.

I'm sorry it became so much work for you Al. It isn't fair on you and I don't want you spending any more time on this at the expense of other customers. Just ship everything out when it's ready and let me know the additional shipping costs for me to settle up with you from here.

Chris. Think about that dogbox and decide if you want it. If not drop me a PM. I might need a backup plan.

Al, again I'm sorry, I didn't mean to piss you off. Take it easy. I'll need to find another workaround here.

Paul.

Posts: 7315 | From: East Sussex, U.K. | Member Since: 04/19/04 | IP: (219.78.136.4) | Report this post to a Moderator

Gary_Chiu
45/2000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 253378 posted 09/03/05 12:50 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post   
You can always have another tranny built.
That way, if the first one breaks, you will have a spare on hand.

Go with a Shep trans the second time around so you can compare the two.

45/2000
97 GST

Posts: 234 | From: Chicago, IL | Member Since: 01/11/04 | IP: (65.42.94.150) | Report this post to a Moderator

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20>>
Previous thread Next thread

Extra information
1 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Galant VR4.org Moderator:  curtis, steve, atc250r, jcgalntvr4-244, cheekychimp, jepherz, Rausch, toybreaker, iceman69510, pot, FlyingEagle 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Thread views: 66053

Rate this thread

News & Events: News | Events
Galant VR-4: Newbies | General VR4 Discussions | Technical Discussions | How To and Info Archive
Marketplace: Parts For Sale | Cars For Sale | Good Guys | Bad Guys
Community: Members' Showcase

Contact Us | Privacy statement GalantVR-4.org

Generated in 0.289 seconds in which 0.223 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Turbo powered.

Hertz's Galant VR-4 Page