The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

loud exhaust... st00pid local PD

well my brother brent was out in #78 today. He pulled out onto the major road near our house then turned back around in a parking lot that is about 1/2 a mile from our house and the disco's go on. He gets ronni rolled in this parking alot with a 85$ ticket for "loud exhaust" and he did not even take the car into boost, when this all went down! I know he can fight it, but are there any other 3" TBE w/ high flow cat certified exhaust vr4 customers that have had this problem? It passed state inspection with flying colors, so i told him to bring the inspection paper work to court and he should get off. He has 2 tickets within the 6-7 years that he has been driving. I also have a friend with a state inspection license and think if i have him right a letter along with a DB test i should be good, but i would like to try to get out of it using my first method mentioned above. I think the exhaust is awsome and would not change it for everything, even the state inspector that inspected the car must have though so also, because it would have never been given a inspection sticker.

Decibal reading and inspection papers should be all it takes. Sorry to hear it...I used to get harassed constantly in my SRT-4. Never got a ticket though LOL

It really depends on the actual law. I don't know about your state laws, but in New York anyways there is no set DB level so "loud exhaust" is completely up to the cop's discretion. Also just passing inspection dose not mean anything. Just means that you meet the emissions standards, and in NY there really isn't any for a 94 and lower car. I have a 3 inch with a straight pipe and still passed with flying colors. I would still fight it worst case scenario you still have to pay for it. Really the best thing to do would be put the stock exhaust back on go to court show them and just change it back when ever. Either way good luck with it. I know I've had my fair share of pull overs but most of the time cops are cool around here and just let me go.

BoostedAWD91

i just got stopped for my exhaust being to loud 2 weeks ago and i was only going like 25mph but i talked my way out of a ticket and got a warning. i just had to take a card to a state inspection station to get signed that i fixed my exhaust. I told the cops that my downpipe was broken when it actually was fine. i just bought a silencer to slip into my muffler on late nights going through town

yea they didnt even give him a 5 day tag.. stock exhaust has been gone for a while now. we will have to wait and see what happens.

14u2nV

On the flip side, if your inspection guy let it slide, and you go fighting it using that defense, he could loose his license/get fined. Might talk to him first to make sure it's all good. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

atc250r

Staff member
+1

Don't throw the guy under the bus if he let you slide on your loud exhaust.

The reason NY doesn't have a dB level is that the letter of the law states that you are supposed to have an OEM type exhaust. A cop that stopped me for a loud exhaust (and let me go) told me that. I didn't believe him so I looked it up myself and it is in fact correct.

John

656of1000

In Pennsylvania, a loud exhaust (like window tint), is not covered in an inspection, but is covered under "vehicle code". In other words, I can't legitimatley fail a loud exhaust (as long as it doesn't leak), but a cop can issue a citation for it. It's pretty stupid, and I hope that isn't the case in Rhode Island.

866galant

I got pulled over for a loud exhaust and told the cop it was 50 state legal and had the paperwork at home for it when it really was'nt /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif He actually responded by saying "do you think its gonna take the skin off my ass to write you a ticket?" So after half an hour later he walks back from his crusier with my licesne and lets me go /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ahh lucky! you should pm some pics of your itr..im allways looking for b-series parts. It's Sad that my 4dr 98 integra gsr which has a comptech catback stock header and cat and it is loud than my gv4 exhaust and i havnt got poped yet (knock on wood) i even think it is 50 state legal but it does'nt have a c.a.r.b stamp on it so i dont think it is.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned