The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

exhaust sugestions for the GGSX.

Wilfongtsi

So I want to put a full exhaust on my newly acquired GGSX, not really looking to make it alot faster or more powerful, or loud for that matter, but I hate a quiet exhaust. I have a 3" GVR4 exhaust laying around not getting used at the moment, so with that said if I would get a header for a non turbo TEL would that match up with the GVR4 exhaust at the cat? I know its kinda hard to tell for sure having not seen the parts. What do you guys recommend? Not sure how soon this will get done, guess it depends on how much new stuff I have to buy. Thanks in advance.

1990ggsxnj

It definitely would not match up as there was no provisioning for the AWD. None of the Non-turbo TEL's had AWD. Are you looking to just go cat back?

Wilfongtsi

I'd rather do full if I can, I know there was never an awd non turbo tel, I just figured the header would be fairly close as they were still front wheel drive, and then use the cat back part of the 3" GVR4 exhaust to bolt up to it. Guess I need to check out how the transfer case and everthing is set up on the GGSX and try and find a non turbo tel and look under there, crap I was hoping it would be as easy as that. Does certified muffler make anything for the GGSX?

Dialcaliper

Just so you know, a 3" on a normally aspirated motor will be extremely loud, even with a resonator, since the turbo provides significant muffling. For most 4-cylinders, anything over about 2.25" will be raspy, loud and possibly unbearable under full throttle. Plus you'll lose the scavenging benefit from having a properly sized NA exhaust with the right exhaust velocity (A NA car with a too-large exhaust can actually lose power. I doesn't really matter with a turbo, since the exhaust before the turbo is restricted anyway, you just want low pressure after the turbine). It will not give the pleasant growl that it will with a turbo in the way. You might be able to get away with a 2.5"

The Galant GSX should have the same AWD floor pan as the VR-4, unlike the FWD versions, so you should be fine in that respect. The downpipe location off the stock cast header might be slightly different, although a test fit would be the only way to tell - If it's slightly higher up, you might be able to have a welded "adapter" made. If you have the exhaust "lying around" do a test fit.

If you don't mind losing your eardrums, and still want to use the 3" exhaust, another "hack-job" option would be to acquire a 14B or 16G exhaust housing, weld up the hole where the CHRA goes and remove the wastegate and flapper, and bolt it all up using a turbo manifold and O2 sensor housing. It will probably be fairly restrictive though.

1990ggsxnj

Agreed. It would not sound pretty. I actually just used a higher flowing muffler on my first Eclipse (before converting it to turbo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif) which sounded nice as it was not a fart can and opened up the top end a bit. You lose quite a bit on the bottom end if you open the exhaust too much more than the stocker is letting it exhale (see Dialcaliper post above). 2.5 inches is a great medium, just be careful of which muffler you use.

Actualy, it matches up in line, the only issue MIGHT be length. My GGSX is using a Headman/Chikara header i got as a gift for a 1g TEL, and it lines up with the stock exhaust. My only issue was the hanger, it was about six inches off. I cant tell you about the length as my car was missing the cat when I bought it; I had used a short peice of pipe lying around to connect it, right before I decided to rip the OE exhaust out to get a new one made.

Wilfongtsi

Thanks for the responses guys, On other non turbo cars that I've opened exhausts on I know sometimes they can get loud, and its not that I want to run a 3" but its what I got laying around at the moment, maybe I will try and just use the cat back part for now and do some more research for the rest.

curtis

I'm thinking 3 inch would be loud as well but if you used some resonators might help out and not be so loud. I stuck some factory evo resonators I had in the shop on ebay yesterday. There 2.4 inside dia so it should help. Check the list of stuff I have as well thanks

click me.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned