The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

3k flat spot and 3-stage rev limiter issues with #224/2K

turboren

Been a while since I've been on the board, but I've been pretty busy this summer workin on my cars. Anyway, I have a couple issues with #224 that I'd like to see if anyone can help with. First, the relevant specs:

Blaha hacked 1g mas
Big 16g (or evo3, can't remember offhand, and I'm not near the car)
really big fmic, 2 1/4" in, 2 1/2" out (I think)
greddy type r bov, open vented (recirc line not made yet)
2g tb elbow
FIC 650's
2g exh mani
evo3 O2 housing
3" ss exhaust with magnaflow muffler, no cat
Keydiver chip set up for above, plus 3-stage rev limiter (4500 rpm default), 7800 top rpm
SAFC set up: throttle 30% low, 80% high; fuel on low -5% at 1k, -5% at 2k, -3% at 3k

Ok, so problem #1 is that the rev limiter sometimes work and sometimes doesn't, meaning sometimes I get 4500 rpm, and other times I get 7800. I haven't been able to narrow down when I get what rev limit (can get either rev limit while moving or standing still, with clutch in or out), but I'm sure there must be something I'm doing, or not doing, to make it do that. I haven't done the clutch wire mod, so I don't know why I would ever get the 7800 rev limit, but I don't totally understand how that circuit works anyway.

Problem #2 is that there is a pronounced flat spot, and occasional bucking, at part throttle from about 3k to 4k rpm. If I floor it, though, the engine responds fine. I logged the event, but haven't reviewed the logs yet, so I'm not sure what is going on, but I didn't notice any knock of loss of Hz at the time. Fuel trims from the logger say about 82% low, 82% mid, and 93% high.

I'll try to download the logs tonight or tomorrow and see if I can post them.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ren

Rausch

I *think* problem #1 may be related to the VSS. If I remember correctly, you get the lower limit when teh ECU sees the car is not moving. I know the clutch switch is involved here too, but if it's not wired up for that mod I'm not sure how exactly. Forgive me, as it's been forever since I hooked any of that stuff up, I'm sure Jeff would be able to elaborate with the most accurate info. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Edit: The clutch wire mod should not affect the 7800 rpm limit though.

Last edited:

belize1334

The rev limiter issue is because the ecu isn't getting a signal from the vss so it thinks that you're sitting still all the time. I had the exact same issue and it turned out not to be the switch itself (located in the instrument panel) but rather a short in the wiring between the vss and the ecu. Once I determined that the sensor was working fine I just sent a new wire all the way from the vss to the ecu and voila...problem solved. Also, for your edification, there are other symptoms of a bad vss. For one thing, your variable speed wipers aren't variable speed anymore cause they think the car is sitting still all the time so they don't adjust for your vehicle speed. The other thing is that the car may be prone to bogging the engine as you approach stop signs. Normally the ECU knows that you aren't giving it any gas and that you'll be using the brakes (which draws vacuum from the intake manifold) so it keeps the RPMs at about 1k until you come to a complete stop. If the ecu doesn't get the speedo signal it doesn't know that you're slowing down so it doesn't keep the RPMs up. The result is that it's idling at about 750rpm when you apply the brakes and the engine bogs.

toybreaker

iconoclast
^^^ Good info! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Also, one other "tell" for a defunct vss is a non-operative cruise control.

turboren

Cruise and wipers work as they should (well, cruise hunts somewhat, rather annoying), and I haven't noticed any bogging while coming to a stop. As I said earlier, though, the low rev limit thing doesn't happen all the time, and it actually hasn't happened at all in the past couple hundred miles.

Still having problems with the flat spot, though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

turboren

Turned up the boost and it just bogs at anything over 10psi. Turned it back down until this is fixed. I haven't made up that clutch wire yet, either. Can I just use some off-the-shelf diode for that? Doesn't look as though the one pictures in VFAQ is very big.

belize1334

I wouldn't worry about the clutch wire till everything else is working. The no-lift-to-shift shouldn't interfere with anything else if you just leave the wire off. You'll still have the basic launch-control feature and it'll simplify the diagnosis for your intermittent rev-limiter problems.

turboren

Well, I just found out that I don't have NLTS on that chip anyway, which seems to make even less sense to me. Also discovered that my base fuel press is 40psi with the vac hose on, 44 with it off (fuel press solenoid still in use).

turboren

Here are some logs that I took when this occured. Maybe I'm just not that savvy with MMCd, but I don't see anything that stands out as something wrong:

click

click

click

From what I can gather, this seems to happen between abnout 15% and 30% throttle.

Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks,

Ren

Last edited:

Hertz

Staff member
I had a similar problem go away after discovering boost leaks that I swore did not exist. Pressure test often.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts