The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Intercooler core as radiator?

Can they be used as a radiator? I would like to build a custom radiator, but I can't seem to find a place to buy just a core.

gvr4ever

I've seen someone use a radiator as a IC before. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

It probably could work, but probably not optimal. You know if a fan that will fit your IC?

Negative ghostrider. I went over this with ETS a long time ago and that was the final answer. I wish I could remember the specific reasons so I had a better explanation for you. For one it would need to be top-bottom flow and quite large (very expensive) and the tubes are too large. What about buying a cheap aluminum radiator off ebay and cut it up, make custom tanks etc...??

I thought about that Jesse. I am thinking that the intercooler is too free flowing and wouldn't allow the water to cool fast enough. Also I would build a dual pass radiator using a standard side to side flowing intercooler. That way you an find super cheap EBAY intercoolers, and then modify it. I suppose I will try an ebay radiator. F.

jepherz

Staff member
I looked around for cores about a year ago, Jon, and couldn't find anything. I don't believe you'd want to use an IC core for a radiator simply because what has a much greater thermal mas, and with the wider tube/plate ratio, you won't be passing enough air to suck heat from the water.

curtis

Sent you a PM, I got what you need to finish the project.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned