GalantVR4.org The Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Forum
Galant VR-4 Forums » Galant VR-4 » Technical Discussions » Multiple Clutch Pedal Rebuilds gone bad...
Previous thread Next thread

Multiple Clutch Pedal Rebuilds gone bad...

4dr_vr4

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 1228171 posted 05/15/16 07:07 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
I have rebuilt my clutch pedal assembly more times than I'd care to mention here with the JNZ tuning kit. The best way to explain the failure would be that after the rebuild, I'd press the pedal in and it would be super hard to press in. I'd persist figuring it was just the heavy aftermarket XTD pressure plate. after pressing it in to the floor, the pedal would go limp and would not return more than an inch from the floor. The pedal would feel like a piece of tin afterwards.

Upon removal and inspection, the weld would not be broken and nothing had noticeably moved or shifted.

However, when the clutch bracket rod goes into the white plunger, it now has way too much travel and leaves the white plastic piece resulting in the spring coming off.

So after this happens, I am getting a bunch more play, but there is no evidence of it at the weld or the clutch bracket.

I finally found what I believe to be the cause.....frozen clutch slave cylinder (wouldn't move and had rust all over it). I replaced the clutch master and slave, but I am sick of redoing this job over and over.

What could cause the plunger to move out too far as described above when there is no evidence of play besides that...no broken welds...nothing.

Edited by 4dr_vr4 (05/15/16 07:10 PM)

Posts: 77 | From: NC | Member Since: 05/18/13 | IP: (73.251.121.143) | Report this post to a Moderator

tektic

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 1228241 posted 05/17/16 08:47 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Where these new parts you welded together? I'm just wondering how they were indexed before welding. Did you have the protective rubber boot on your slave cylinder? The cylinder was bad and you replaced it. It is still not working?

Posts: 1448 | From: ronkonkoma, ny | Member Since: 12/19/12 | IP: (66.249.83.223) | Report this post to a Moderator

4dr_vr4

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 1228258 posted 05/18/16 11:37 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post   
All new parts. Last rebuild done by JNZ Tuning. I had the protective rubber boot on the slave. Slave cylinder was bad (frozen) and I replaced it with a new one. The piston now moves freely.

However, the geometry is now off and I can't tell where. The fact that the rod comes far outside of the white plunger at this point when it didn't initially shows me that something has to be bent.

Edited by 4dr_vr4 (05/18/16 11:44 AM)

Posts: 77 | From: NC | Member Since: 05/18/13 | IP: (166.123.216.45) | Report this post to a Moderator

Pages: 1
Previous thread Next thread

Extra information
0 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Galant VR4.org Moderator:  curtis, steve, atc250r, jcgalntvr4-244, cheekychimp, jepherz, Rausch, toybreaker, iceman69510, pot, FlyingEagle 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 1639

Rate this thread

News & Events: News | Events
Galant VR-4: Newbies | General VR4 Discussions | Technical Discussions | How To and Info Archive
Marketplace: Parts For Sale | Cars For Sale | Good Guys | Bad Guys
Community: Members' Showcase

Contact Us | Privacy statement GalantVR-4.org

Generated in 0.162 seconds in which 0.148 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Turbo powered.

Hertz's Galant VR-4 Page