GalantVR4.org The Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Forum
Galant VR-4 Forums » Galant VR-4 » Technical Discussions » Reverting back to R12 - a few questions
Previous thread Next thread

Reverting back to R12 - a few questions

tsitalon1
Member +

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 1136942 posted 08/19/13 02:56 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Hey guys,

I've tried optomizing my system for the San Antonio temps here and I've done ok. I've now located a local source some good ole r12 here and plan on reverting back to r12, but wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Current system with r134 and 95 ambient behaves as follows: 45 outlet temps after 20mins of driving with blower on "2". If blower on max it raises by 10-15. First 10 minutes is only 70-75 outlets.

System was flushed professionally and recharged a few months ago.

Here is a list of things I have done to optomize the system with r134a:
Replaced compressor
Replaced Dryer
Replaced Expansion Valve (napa unit)
Cleaned Evaporator and housing
Replaced all o-rings
Heater core bypass
A/C and Radiator fan resistor bypassed (fan on high when on)
Additional AC fan added to front side of Condensor (7-8" fan)
Here's my old thread Clicky

So know that I've located some r12, my plan to go back involves this:
Purge system
Manually flush all lines with brake cleaner
Replace drier
Pull vacuum for an hour - let car sit over night to remove all moisture.

My questions are:
Do I need to remove the evaporator/expansion valve and flush those as well?
How do I flush the compressor to remove the PAG oil? (would rather not remove from vehicle)
Do I need to change o-rings? (r134 o-rings compatible with r12?)

Anything else I'm missing?

Edited by tsitalon1 (08/20/13 11:08 AM)

Posts: 309 | From: Montgomery Al | Member Since: 12/29/10 | IP: (199.10.86.148) | Report this post to a Moderator

tsitalon1
Member +

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 1137073 posted 08/20/13 11:09 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Bump

Posts: 309 | From: Montgomery Al | Member Since: 12/29/10 | IP: (199.10.86.148) | Report this post to a Moderator

galant651
651/2000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 1137177 posted 08/21/13 12:52 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post   
first off i wouldnt flush out your lines with brake cleaner, its not good on the rubber. i would get it proffesionally flushed. as for the compressor, you can try to blow it out or pull vacumnn on it to try to get rid of most of it. other than that you have to pull it to drain it completely. most of your seals should be fine, shouldnt make a real difference between r12 and r134, just replace any that you take apart. and im not sure if the fan in front of the condensor is doing you any good, it might help when your at idle or under 25 mph but over that its just restricting air flow. thats just my 2 cents. good luck.

#651, its a love hate relationship

Posts: 113 | From: twin falls, idaho | Member Since: 03/13/13 | IP: (216.119.172.12) | Report this post to a Moderator

Pages: 1
Previous thread Next thread

Extra information
0 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Galant VR4.org Moderator:  curtis, steve, atc250r, jcgalntvr4-244, cheekychimp, jepherz, Rausch, toybreaker, iceman69510, pot, FlyingEagle 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 984

Rate this thread

News & Events: News | Events
Galant VR-4: Newbies | General VR4 Discussions | Technical Discussions | How To and Info Archive
Marketplace: Parts For Sale | Cars For Sale | Good Guys | Bad Guys
Community: Members' Showcase

Contact Us | Privacy statement GalantVR-4.org

Generated in 0.359 seconds in which 0.345 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Turbo powered.

Hertz's Galant VR-4 Page