The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

timing setting

ercp98

so i followed the vfaq way of setting the timing in the gvr4. i have it set at 5 degrees. all is ok while i set it using the timing light. i grounded the line attached to the firewall.also i took oout the logger while i was setting the timing. now why is it that my logger is showing (TMA) 8-10 degrees while at idle?

spoulson

The logger shows you timing + base timing. The ECU is assuming the base timing is at 5* at all times.

8-10 is correct at idle, without the terminal grounded. As soon as you connect the logger you are no longer in the "timing adjust" mode, so it should go back to using the maps.

Polish

Which pin do you ground? I always forget which is the fuel pump and which is the timing since they are right next to each other.

CP

There's only one metal pin in the plug on the firewall, at least on my car. The other side is plastic.

the fuel pump is a single wire single type connector. the timing one is a connector that looks like a two pin but only has one. if it's still there it may have a dead head cap on it as well.

Polish

Both of mine are single wires with connectors on the end. One is larger than the other though, I assume the larger is the timing one? I haven't messed with it since last year and I've forgotten.

yea the larger one, when you look into it you'll see it could also be used as a two pin.

Polish

Gotcha, thanks much. I'm going to label that one so I don't forget again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

CP

I've never even seen the fuel pump one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif The one I use for timing is above the clutch fluid reservoir.

two pry bars, upper one points to fuel pump test connector lower one points to timing connector.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts