The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

high idle on cold start

galantrevolution

hi i have my 91 vr4 and when is cold will idle about 2000 to 2100 rpm then will drop to 800 and after drive the car for a while it will shut off at stop lights and then start up again any ideas? is all stock . i was thinking the maybe is different be cause my manifold say "turbo intercooled" on it and i havent seen another vr4 with same manifold

DR1665

When you say it will shut off at stoplights, is this only after it's warmed up?

First thing you want to do is make sure you've got the base idle set correctly. In a nutshell, you want to make sure the car is warmed up to operating temperature, then there are (2) connector pins you need to ground out to lock the IAC to center (hit up the search or VFAQ for details), before adjusting the BISS to the proper target.

If things still act up, it could mean your IAC is shot, which is not uncommon on the 4G63. Another, less common possibility is that your TPS has dementia. I had similar symptoms recently, and the logs showed TPS reading WOT at idle, which caused all sorts of fueling issues, resulting in the car dying once it warmed up.

Make sure you've got your idle/IAC set right before you start spending money on spare parts.

Good luck.

OMFGeofffff

High idle is normal. For me at least. It's the FIAV doing its job. Otherwise your other issue might be non-recirc BOV?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts