The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Help: Camber Plate Dimensions please!

desant78

Hello All

I was truly a fool...and bought 1662 taking the word that the horrible positive camber was due to the hondaa civic rims currently on her....I was wrong.

I also learned she was in an accident, and missing a ton of stuff. Since december I have been working pretty hard, and re did a ton of story that i've lost track.

Now I am about to hit the road for the first time I am attempting to fix my horrible positive camber..which apparently I can only do so by using camber plates. I have access to a full machine shop along with very simple prototyping machines. I am under the assumption I can use any shocks/springs, that all I need is the plate (to change the angle, reducing force of spring on front, to level out camber)

I do not have camber plates or access to any...if anyone has some and could spare some dimensions(even material/thickness), I would greatly appreciate it. Otherwise I'm dong this by scratch /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Let me know, and thanks in advance everyone!

broxma

Well, it's going to be a tough road to hoe no matter what you do. The plate itself isn't so much the problem as it is the ball mount the strut rod goes through. The ball mount is attached to the bottom of the plate but it's not one piece, originally. It's like a pillowball, mounted in a steel circle, welded to a plate, which bolts to the plate...if you can follow me.

I have a busted K-sport plate I can take some pictures of an give you some dimensions of. The busted part however is the pillowball so I don't have that available for measuring, but I have some working ones on my car I can try and give you and idea with.

Also, the K-sport camber plates don't fit stock struts unless you modify the strut bushings. They are also somewhat pricey.

/brox

Whoodoo

If you have some know-how on a lathe and a mill, then you could make your own pillowball housing, then buy some good quality spherical bearings that have the correct diameter hole for whatever suspension you have. I had thought about doing this myself a year ago, but then wound up buying some Ksport camber plates and, subsequently, spent a lot of time in the machine shop getting those to work for me anyways.

If you have really bad positive camber, then you likely some severely cut or just very low drop springs. Try getting the car to a more normal ride height and that may solve all your problems. Also, camber bolts can get you a few degrees one way or the other.

curtis

Ok here's my logic. DSM/VR4 plates fit on evo struts. So this tells me the pillow ball/bushing/holes is the same id.
Now the dsm/vr4 plates are 3 bolts separated by 90/90/180 where the factory evo plates are 120/120/120. I have the facory evo plates on my car. You just have to drill 2 holes in each strut tower.

Now for the added adjustment just buy these (click below) for the price with hardware/bearing/mount and counting something for the time you'll spend more on building them than buying them.

click me

Last edited:

desant78

Wow! this forum never ceases to impress me! this is all really good info. I am definitely going to look into what curtis suggested since it looks like the simplest way. I just got out of school...so things are kinda hectic right now but any progress I have I will be sure to pass on to the forum!

desant78

Quoting curtis:
Ok here's my logic. DSM/VR4 plates fit on evo struts. So this tells me the pillow ball/bushing/holes is the same id.
Now the dsm/vr4 plates are 3 bolts separated by 90/90/180 where the factory evo plates are 120/120/120. I have the facory evo plates on my car. You just have to drill 2 holes in each strut tower.

Now for the added adjustment just buy these (click below) for the price with hardware/bearing/mount and counting something for the time you'll spend more on building them than buying them.

click me

I am very new to the suspension modification/repair world. Since the dsm/vr4 plates have the same ID as the evo ones, I assume I can still use my kyb agx shocks? I know this may seem like a dumb question, but I appreciate the help.

Thank you

belize1334

The problem is that a camber plate will only get your about 0.5* of adjustability unless you also switch to a 2.5" diameter front coil spring. The stock front coil spring is 8" diameter and can only be tipped a little bit before it hits the strut tower. So, unless you're ready to switch to a coil-over setup (at least in front), the camber plates aren't gonna fix your issue.

That being said, I'm about to sell a pile of suspension stuff including a set of Tein front camber plates, specific to our cars, as well as some coilover springs, a set of Bilstein shocks, and a set of Evo VIII rear springs with matching top hats. Let me know if you're interested in any of it.

Last edited:

Hope I can post here since I'm a noob /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

A question? you shouldn't have positive camber, so what happened?
You mention that it was in an accedent, if this is the reason you have positive camber then you have big problems.
I'm positive that it's not the springs, I've seen VR4s with 3" drop on cut springs and they tend to get a bit more Neg camber rather than Positive camber /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Is it posible that somebody has installed EVO front struts? if you search in the How-To Archive (think it was there) there should be something on fitting evo struts, aparently they cause positive camber. But then again I could be remembering wrong.

There is a free way of getting upto about 2.5 deg negative camber. My e33a galant is set with 1.25 deg negative camber using the same method.
All I did was 'slot' the upper strut to hub bolt inward. If you like I can take a photo of the procedure /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I just feel by reading all of this that camber plates is just a way of covering up another problem as you don't just 'get' drastic camber changes.

Hope you fix the problem.

Justin

Whoodoo

Quoting curtis:

click me

DSM/VR4 plates DO NOT fit on evo struts. You can make them fit, but it requires making bushings. See Evo strut info here

If I could have done it over again, I think I would have bought Evo pillowball mounts. You can get them much cheaper than VR4 specific ones and the amount of work to get them onto stock evo suspension would probably be significantly less. With that being said, unless you get an entire VR4 specific setup, you're going to have to modify something.

curtis

When I put the evo stuff on my car I had dsmvr4 plates and they fit. Later I removed the dsm/vr4 one and installed the evo ones on the car since the springs up front had already been cut. I know I posted pictures side by side I'll go find it.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts