The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Tranny won't disengage

Brunoboy

I was driving tolday and going third to fourth it is stuck in fourth. I can shift the shifter to all gears but the car is still In gear, the clutch does allow the car to roll without being "in gear " but once release it stalls because it's not moving out of fourth gear, what can be wrong?
-shane

toybreaker

iconoclast
Broken shift fork is a likely bet

Barnes

Inspected the shifter cables yet? I actually had this exact same thing happen and a shift cable popped off.

Brunoboy

Shifter moves all around and inside the engine bay as well, broken fork? Hard to replace?

Barnes

Actually, assuming nothing broke apart and got eaten by the transmission, it isn't too awful. You'll probably have to take the tranny out of the car, and disassemble it. (I swear I read you could fix it while still inside the car, but I doubt it.) The good news is fixing the actual fork itself, or a broken/bent shift rail is easy. Also, since you won't be changing any bearings or gears, you don't have to re-shim the case. For the most part it is a very straight forward deal. It does take a fair chunk of time however.

If something broke, and the transmission ate it up, the whole gear box is dead. You'll probably get an indicator of that when you drain the transmission fluid.

Tre3zy

time to pull out the trans.... shouldnt be that hard.... i got my trans out in a lil over 1 hour and thats me doing it the first time in the driveway.... just make sure that you have help when its time to actually pull it out....

Brunoboy

Ive done it before in the driveway with a cherry picker, how'd you pull yours out triztane?

Tre3zy

in the driveway with a help of 3 midgets /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Diego

Which one took it to the chest? ^^^ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Brunoboy

Quoting Tre3zy:
in the driveway with a help of 3 midgets /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

lol I remember JT Tony and I pulled mine out when I did the motor swap, did you drop it? and howd you drop it if you did?

Tre3zy

just like i said 3 midgets lol 2 in the bottom one on top....

Brunoboy

Lol Yuri and Ryuto ? Aha

I just pulled my VR4 manual transmission out to fix a broken clutch disc and bad output shaft. Also replaced all the seals while it was out which I highly recommend. I have had to pull the trans out before and I just wanted to pass along that you DON'T need to touch any of the motor mounts. I dropped mine out by myself with the help of a good floor jack and put it in the same way but in reverse order. The main point is you don't have to start messing with the front or side motor mounts; just pull the axles, t-case, top trans mount bolts (leave the bracket in the car), shifter cables and bellhouse bolts, reverse switch wires and clutch slave cylinder then pull out and drop down. It is a tight fit and you may need to rotate the flywheel a bit but it will come out.
Good luck...
-Kevin

Brunoboy

Thanks Kevin, I pulled the motor once and dropped the tranny once, I did it with two other people and had a cherry picker to lower it. I also removed the sub frame and the mount bracket. do you remember how long it took you to do it alone?
-Shane

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts