The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Hosting change

Hertz

Staff member
We're switching servers today - thanks to those who contributed to help make this happen (oh, and a wicked $100 off one year special at DreamHost).

Last edited:

DR1665

We made the switch to Dreamhost? OUTSTANDING.

Came up for me instantly right now, and I'm replying to a thread, so DH power in full-effect.

Now we need to submit the site DHSOTM! :p

Hertz

Staff member
It will be awhile longer before the images are all moved. The 2GB/s file transfer isn't so fast after all...

THIS IS FT%$#@$!@ AMAZINGLY FAST HOLY ST%$# /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

DR1665

Yeah. I noticed the images were all still borked. Not a problem, imo. The board is crazy fast now.

Kudos to everyone involved.

belize1334

First, the site is so fast now that I've completely forgotten about how much the last few days felt like amputation.

Second, maybe there should be an indicator somewhere on the site (sticky thread perhaps) which shows the forums budget and current holdings. That way people could see just how much money is needed and how big an impact their contributions could have. If everybody knew that the board needed X dollars then they could loosen their purses and throw down a bit until the bank was flush. As it is I could donate say $10 but I have no idea if that's really significant or appropriate...

Keep up the good work!

Terry Posten

$20 just sent.

Thanks Hertzy

Hertz

Staff member
About 75% of the image are moved.

As much as I am for transparency in budgets and government, I don't want to potentially reveal how much other people donate and I want people to contribute based on their appreciation for the site, not on a perceived need for money. (As in, if the site has $500 in the bank, why should I give any money?)

Any amount is significant and every donation is important, if not for today, for the long-term future of the site. I wish we had the domain names reserved until 2020, etc. Obviously taking advantage of pre-paying to save money has had some drawbacks (GoDaddy started to suck more and more).

If money is short (the last 3 years have been rough!) I would encourage everyone to get meets to together, help a stranger wrench, be social in the real world. Then there's less chance of complaints about how slow the site is. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

DR1665

Quoting Hertz:
I would encourage everyone to get meets to together, help a stranger wrench, be social in the real world.

FTW.

Nijasan

Ugh, dreamhost.

Here is how it works at dreamhost.

Right now it's very fast. They always put new customers on the least used clusters so it's awesome for a few weeks.

Until they pack 1500 additional accounts on this cluster that we're on.

They oversell and overload so badly that it's almost comical. Maybe they've made a new years resolution to not be my most hated host and things will be different this time.

14u2nV

Are you still needing money? Maybe you could at least post what you would like to do with the board, and how much you need to raise to do it. A lot of us have no idea what kind of costs are involved in it, but would be very willing to pitch in. I've only donated once I think, not because I don't care or don't have the cash, but because I did not know we were trying to do something.

Thanks for the speed up by the way,, it was making me so frustrated. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lonewolf64

I just donated $50. Thank you Hertz and everyone else involved for making this board usable again!

spoulson

I've been using DreamHost for 3 years now. I started on shared and eventually moved to VPS. They are a dramatic improvement over the previous host I had used, hostmysite.com. I used them because at the time I was working part time, so I got a feel for what common practices are.

1) Shared hosting is shared and you have little control over what customers do with their sites. The host provider can do all it can to monitor for offenders and terminate the process and/or account where necessary, but you still get what you get. DreamHost has it automated to kill spiking processes running for too long. HostMySite required human intervention every time.

2) The number of sites hosted on a shared server varies from host to host. Though, really, the number doesn't really matter as much as the load average you run at. If the shared server is a big iron virtual host, then the computing resources are elastic and can be doled out on demand. And regardless, demands of one customer's site != demands of another. Some people run really inefficient crap and others are fast and streamlined. Some want to run cron jobs that kill server performance. Some sites just plain get hacked and who knows what goes on then.

But anyway, the site is a quintillion times faster than before. Great work, Hertz!

onesickcrx

Forum is so much faster thanks for the hard work! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

gtluke

I dropped my server load by over 90% by IP banning the amazon cloud. There were so many scripts originating form their cloud that would crawl every single post on every single page of all my message boards that it was actually crashing the server.
Just an FYI /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I don't think we have that problem since we are a one-off type board and nobody is going to bother writing a bot to crawl just our site. I had 3 vbuelletin sites so those bots are already pre programmed.

Hertz

Staff member
That's why we like software that's old and esoteric.

We've got a fair amount of anti-bot technology going already and as you may recall I killed a couple pages that would do huge lookups (like "All" pages)

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts