The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Rod Knock?

Barnes

Sure sounds like it. You should take another video, but this time rev the engine up, and maintain that RPM.

1941Galant

It was kind of hard to get the engine to continue making that noise, it seems to mainly happen when you initially give it throttle, then it stops. We can try and get some audio of the car driving down the road under load or something.

shredder2010

ouch my car sounded just like that but i hast cranks walk and a crack in a piston skirt

SleepinGVR4

I'm f-ing pissed the engine has only 30K miles on it and it saw zero abuse. I realize that really doesn't have anything to do with it but its the point.

Barnes

Uhg. I hate diagnosing stuff from audio. I remember when my buddy's 2g had rod knock, and it sounded exactly like a collapsed lifter.

moidsm1

I just tore into my motor last night to find that the rear balance shaft is the culprit for my rod knock. Im not sure if you already eliminated it tho. Time for BSE!

SleepinGVR4

Nope they were tight. And my engine doesn't have balance shafts.

Pulled the head tonight, cylinders still have hatch marks, so I'm happy about that. The pistons have some carbon build up on them along with the exhaust valves. Is there a safe way to remove that build up off the valves?

One thing I noticed is that on the inside of the intake manifold runners there is this gritty sand sh*t that I can rub off with my fingers. But its not sand, I don't know what it is.

I'm pulling the pistons tomorrow I'm leaning towards a wrist pin.

Barnes

Did you notice anything wrong with the valvetrain when you took the head off?

What color is that gritty sh*t?

SleepinGVR4

The gritty stuff is a black and tan color. I'm pretty sure it carbon build up that has come off the inside of the intake.

The only thing I noticed about the valve train is large carbon build up on exhaust valves.

I pulled the pistons and rods today, number four piston has a cracked skirt. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

So time for a new engine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned