The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

TPS voltage at idle too high 91 galant vr4

einstein

Yeah i have A 91 galant and my tps at idle is .87 i know its supposed to be at 10 percent or roughly .5 at idle what would cause me to have such a high value I tried to adjust it and .87 is the lowest it will go. ALso what voltage trips the check engine light? I am thinking .90, is this bad to have a higher voltage at idle? What long term problems does it cause?

Matt

ktmrider

Get the ECU out and checked ASAP ( capacitor leaks and/or acid damage to board ).

Terry Posten and SteveP are the people you wanna work with if damage is found.

Last edited:

einstein

I was told the ecu had new caps is that one of the symptoms of bad caps on the ecu or leaking caps?

Do you think its a bad tps? I did the whole voltage sweep and it went from .87 to 4.9 volts but it wont go lower and it has no flat spots voltage wise on it.

One last question will a datalogger display the codes visually?

Matt

vapid

Try loosening your throttle cable so you're sure there's no tension on it when closed. It may be holding it open just a little.
Also, I believe the Voltage range is 0.63V to 5V.

toybreaker

iconoclast
I *believe* the range at closed throttle should .48 to .52 volts, with .5 volts being the sweet spot.

Since it ranges out okay on the top, it may be as simple as something is not letting the throttle close all the way.

Like vapid pointed out, check for slack in the throttle cable first.

If all is good there, the base throttle opening may have been tampered with.

Shoot a clear pic of the throttle body showing the closed idle switch, and we can troubleshoot it from there.

Last edited:

vapid

Sorry. I was thinking tps voltage as seen on link.

toybreaker

iconoclast
No worries, I get that mixed up all the time, too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Your suggestion to check the throttle cable is a solid piece of advice, and one that a lot of folks overlook.

A good write up on the topic of setting the tps can be found in the vfaq's.

stevep

The VFAQ site is the last place you want to go for correct information on setting the TPS. The FSM should be the first.
You have it correct. The factory spec is 0.48v to 0.52v with the throttle closed and the throttle cable loose.
I've yet to see DSMlink complain/malfunction about a TPS set using the factory specs but they do suggest using 0.63v with DSMLink. Also make sure that your throttle body is grounded and that the IPS is closed when the throttle is closed and opens with a little movement of the throttle.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned