The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

my vr-4. The pikes peak one. story and build *Pics Added!*

Ben

I have had this rolling chassis for a year or 2 now, and I'm finally putting it together. I'v been out of the dsm world for a few years now, ever since I spun a rod bearing in my gsx. I bought other toys through the years because I was overwhelmed of the cost and work of building this car. Well, I finally decided to go through with it, and now I'm a month or so away from it running. yaaayyy.
Here's the car: click
People will get mad because I'm not going to take this car off road again. I can't. I don't have the time or money to do so. There is also nothing close enough to make it worth while for me. I'm not saying I won't do it in the future. I just love these cars, and I like to go fast. Unfortunalty, all we have here is a striaght line. Again, in the furture I very well may decide to get a smaller turbo and go around some curves. That would be fun.
engine:
manley turbo tuff rods
ross 8:5 pistons
stock crank
FP 4R cams
fidanza adjustable cam gears(I had to degree my cams in, due to the head and block both being resurfaced)
ported head, but nothing major
supertech duals

drive line:
Jacks middle build with evo III first gear and double syncro third added
QM twin disk
New tcase
4 bolt rear end

Others:
dsmlink v3
gm maf(I want to eventually switch over to SD)
JM fab race SMIM with ford 70mm TB
Punishment racing hand built t3 manifold/o2 housing and DP
PTE 6262 .82 a/r (non BB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif )
Tial 38mm
RC 1200 cc injectors(unless I find out those wont be big enough)

And many other little goodies. That just the jist of it.
Right now the engine/trans/tcase is bolted in the car. No manifolds on yet. I had to send the exhaust manifold back to punishment so he could ensure which one it is so the o2 housing will fit perfectly. When it comes back, it will have the o2 housing, downpipe, ngk wideband, my second wablro 255 and turbo install parts.

My fuel cell will be here sometime this week. once all these parts get here, it will time to get after it again. I still lack a few parts to get his thing going. I have no idea what to do for the rest of the exhaust. I need a find a valve cover I like. I need a batter relocation kit, a coil mount and fuel gauge amoung a few othere.

I have to figure out how this oil cooler attaches to the oil filter housing. I have to get this large SBR 1g FMIC kit to fit on the car too. once the cell gets here I have to build the mounts for it and all the fuel lines and what not. As of right now, stock suspension and some evo VIII wheels.

well, what do you think?
I need to get some pics on here.

Last edited:

steve

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif Good job. I don't think anyone will be mad at you unless you go for the HELLAFLUSH look and entirely give up on going fast. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Ben

What is hellaflush?

I really wanted to post more, but I had to run.

Ok, just googled that and no! I don't give a crap what it looks like(suspension wise) or how it rides, I just want it to launch and cut a nice 60' I have other cars to drive and a truck to get the galant to its destination, so.driveability is not an issue.

Last edited:

2of9

Do what you need to do to your car for your enjoying needs. No need to impress people around you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif The car looks amazing and I'm super jealous that my car doesn't look/drive like yours man. Goin' autocrossing or time attack would be pretty awesome and that's my goal for mine. Good luck man!

KiNgMaRtY

Quoting Ben:
What is hellaflush?

First of all very nice!

Hellaflush is when you try and get your wheels to be super "hella" flush with the fenders. Usually sacrificing handling performance

BrandonEchols

Quoting Ben:
What is hellaflush?

I love it...

DR1665

You've been up the mountain with the car. Better it should see a little drag racing than no action at all.

Always a pleasure to see a real gearhead posting. Keep us in the loop.

curtis

Glad to hear the car is finally on the way to driving status. When I saw it for sale its one of the few ever sold I wanted mainly because the cage is ready. Its not the work of putting one in I hate its the total striping of everything to get it in I hate.

I'd help by sending 1814's fuel system back to you.... but ain't going to happen /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif Yes guys I own the pikes peak's cars complete fuel system bought it from Brant back about 3 years ago, and since then have added a few pieces to the mix. Hopefully the measurements and such I sent you helped if your planning on putting it in the same place but hopefully your going to put it back underneath where the stock tank was. If not just make sure everything is perfect no leaks and vented out properly.

So what cell and toys did you end up buying anyway?

Post up plenty of pictures

toybreaker

iconoclast
Hope that cell will handle hydrogen as a fuel, Curtis ...

By the time you get around to your car, we'll be talkin about the good old days when you could just to these things called "gas stations" and actually fill your tank with this stuff called "gasoline".

curtis

ha ha

Ben

I ended up getting a 15 gal RCI fuel cell with a sump. 2 -8 outlets in the sump are going to feed 2 walbro 255s that will run parallel then into a "Y" to go up to the aeromotive fuel rail. I also have an aeromotive afpr that will be in the mix. The fuel cell is powder coated red from rci. It is a 2150abs part number. I was planning on putting it in the trunk inside the car and run the vent outside.

I am somewhat lazy on the computer and I do not yet know how to get pics off my phone to my pc besides facebook.

RCI will finish and ship out my fuel cell tomorrow. I ordered my aeromotive fuel rail today along with the fittings needed to hook this oil cooler up to the factory 90 oil filter housing. When my cell comes in, I'll take a fuel pump up there and my pressure regulator and buy all the lines and fittings I need.
I think I'm going to get one of those power coated valve covers off ebay.

I really have no clue what I'm going to do for suspension yet, or wheels/slicks. I'll worry about that after I get it going down the road.

I'm just starting to realize that I'm getting kinda close. I have, in my posession, about 90% of what I need and I have another 5-7% on the way to me.

Rausch

Quoting curtis:
ha ha

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

OP: As already stated: The car is yours, do whatever you want, but make sure you enjoy it!

Ben

Got my exhaust manifold back from punishment racing today along with a new o2 housing, ngk afx, turbo gaskets and my second walbro 255.
off to my shop tonight to install the turbo. I'm still building the frame for my fuel cell. I have all the main components, I just need all the lines and fittings for the fuel system.

I really should figure out how to post pics.

Ben

I put the manifold and turbo on. And found out why people clock the compressor housing in a different direction. haha.
I'm thinking about builing a tubular front end. Get rid of the lower core supper and front cross member and fab something to go in it's place to mount the IC, radiator, front motor mount and front bumper.

We'll see. In the mean time, I need to build my fuel cell mounts.

I wish I could find some pics of Wes Hess's red race car. I didn't think of taking pics of his tubular nose when my buddy had that car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I never thought I'd need to build something like that.

I wish I had the time/ability to do what that white one is doing!!! That's awesome!!

DR1665

Thanks for keeping us updated. Pictures, even from a phone, would be really nice additions to this story if you could make it happen.

I'd love to chop the front clip and go tubular on mine. It's a lot of work up front, but I think the long term benefits could be a lot of fun. Probably not going to happen until I stuff the rally car. Then I think I'd be rotating the engine 90°CW and going RWD to lose the restrictor and maybe play with the 2WD MaxAttack folks.

Keep us posted. These cars certainly have a motorsport pedigree, but it's particularly nice to see the ones with real owner stories like yours still kicking.

DynastyLCD

gorgeous car, and beautiful project. its pretty cool to see the history behind it too!

Ben

Well this SBR ig fmic is not going to work. I would have to postion to core really low. like 1/2 of it sticking out below the bumper cover. haha So I guess I'm going to email ETS and see what they have for me. I'm still going to have to do something with that lower front subframe. I don't see room to reclock this compressor housing, this Punishment manifold is pretty big.

I was planning on running a gm maf just because that's what I have in my hands and what this IS is setup for. I'm reconsidering now. I was wanting to eventually run speed denstiy. If I buy a new FMIC kit, I want to get it set up for my tong term goal and leave out the gm maf on the upper pipe.
I dunno if I just stick with the Gm maf, or go ahead a run SD. I don't know where the cap is on the GM maf.

Tonight or tomrrow I will get some pics up.

a2vr4

Quote:
This content is currently unavailable

either it isn't working or me not being your friend is causing the problem...
looking forward to seein more pictures!
~Brian A. Moreno

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts