The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

clutch is irritating me

ok, so im at a loss here. my cutch just cant seem to be right. i have a act 2600 PP with a carbon kevlar disk... however. to get the slave to push far enough out i need to adjust my master almost completely in... this is totally wrong. im way past the point of the auto adjuster/bleeder in the master. so this being an issue. i did the old add 1/2 inch to the slave push rod... still no difference. i also replaced the master and slave wiht a brand new one. and i used dot 5 brake fluid. it als o has SS lines where there is no hardlines. so i jsut cannot get this thing to disengage fully unless i have my master push rod adjusted all the way in (almost no threads left) does ANYONE have any advice ot tips im missing to get this thing to work right?

Barnes

What step did you get your flywheel machined to? Assuming you are using a stock flywheel that is. Also, your clutch pedal assembly could be worn. Lastly, check to make sure all the bolts that hold your engine to the transmission are tight.

the flywheel is a fidanza flywheel. was new with clutch. the motor and trans is nice and tight. what do you mean my pedal assy could be worn? it appears to be in great condition.

Last edited by a moderator:

Barnes

The clutch pedal assembly can wear where the pedal shaft goes through bushing in the assembly. This creates slop that can keep you from being able to fully disengage the clutch. If you get under the foot well and look up, you can see the shaft that runs from the clutch pedal lever arm over to the smaller lever arm that pushes the on the master cylinder.

ok this makes sence. i will give that a look. any other ideas for me to try while im at it?

misterfixit

When was the last time the clutch system was bled? Air in there and the mastercylinder won't be able to shift enough fluid to fully extend the slave.

Rich

i bled the system today... when i replaced the slave and master. i did it at work after hours. i am ase certified. im quite aware of how its done. but honestly. im at a loss and im to the point where i need help.

Barnes

When you installed the clutch did you install new clutch fork, fulcrum ball, and throwout bearing?

yes yes and yea. i had to do the fork cuz the old one was bent. the TOB came with the clutch and the fulcram ball was replaced because it was flat topped.

dmj

Time to rebuild the clutch pedal assembly, when I put in the ACT 2600 along with a Fidanza flywheel I replaced the Clutch master clutch hose and slave,fulcrum ball and fork and it would not release properly until I rebuilt the pedal assembly and it was barely worn.Works fine now You can purchase the rebuild kit from JNZ or send it to Shep trans for a rebuild.

WaRrIoRs16

I could not disengage the clutch right after a swap of the pressure plate and disk, so I put a washer on the fulcrum ball and it fixed my problem, no adjustments of the master cylinder at all though.

That's clever... but such a pain to rip apart ugh I'm not looking forward to dropping the trans to put in a washer

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts