The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

antilag?

well i cant afford dsmlink yet. i wanted to know what other alternative can i used for antilag or 2-step? i heard you can chip the ecu since vr4s are already eprom right? any help would be great thanks

Whoodoo

Yes, the gvr4's stock ECU is EPROM. There was a thread on here not too long ago about a very cheap antilag. Instead of dumping the air from the BOV to the atmosphere, they routed it into the exhaust pre-turbo via the EGR port. Essentially, what they were doing was using the energy from the intake air to keep the turbo spooling off throttle. Plus doing it that way makes the car crack and sputter a bit because you are introducing oxygen-rich air into the hot exhaust which may have a little unburned fuel left in it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif.

Edit: You should really try to learn how to use the search function. There is a wealth of information already on this forum, but you need to know how to get to it. Its very useful to have a + in front of all your keywords. Also, I like to highlight the section in which I am searching on the left.

For example, I searched the *Galant VR-4* ----- section (this has all the main forums in it) for '+antilag' and lo' and behold, this wonderful little gem appeared. This is the thread I mentioned above.

Last edited:

i read that as well but im not trying to go that cheap. i heard of people using msd dis-2 or having the ecu chipped. but if i wanted to spend the money on the msd i rather jst continue saving for link. will the chip work for antilag or 2-step til i buy dsmlink?

Brunoboy

Yes but keydiver iirc doesnt make new chips at the moment.

Andy_S

Quoting 974gvr4:
well i cant afford dsmlink yet. i wanted to know what other alternative can i used for antilag or 2-step? i heard you can chip the ecu since vr4s are already eprom right? any help would be great thanks

Do you want a 2-step or antilag? They are very different.

to be honest im not sure. which one is safer or more recommended to go with?

Barnes

2-step = boost on launch
anti-lag = maintain boost between shifts, e.g. rally cars.

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that if you need anything, it's a 2-step.

ok so i guess im going to need 2-step instead because im not using the car for rally. so how can i achieve obtaining 2-step with out dsmlink?

Barnes

Because anti-lag will shorten the life of your turbo. Anti-lag is purposely designed for situations when you want to maintain boost between shifts at ALL COSTS. This is not some causal mod. Unless you do some serious rally, you simply don't need it.

As for the 2-step. You only need that if you like to launch your car a lot, or goto the drag strip. For that, it is very useful mod.

I didn't mean to use anti-lag during daily driving, but if I were at the drag strip it would have a drastic advantage over vehicles of the same caliber since I would be staying in boost between shifts vs. going in and out of boost for the slightest sec's? Sorry to thread jack but it's just questions I randomly have since were on this topic.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts