The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Movable jackstands?

BrandonEchols

Ok, so I just picked up 12/1000 as a project.
At the least it'll need the head pulled and resurfaced, and some other this and that.
I have it in my garage now, stuffed over to one side, but it's bound to get snowy here sometime, and I'd like to be able to move the car around inside the garage (without the wheels on it) if need be.
The only two options I've found so far are:

Option 1).
OTC Car Dolly
419j4RU72rL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Says they clamp to the pinch welds (I've heard using the pinch weld is a bad idea?), and roll around...

Pros: They look very stable
Cons: Expensive ($300-$350 a pair), casters don't lock.

Option 2).
Take a wheel dolly, and then weld a jackstand to it. So basically
image_2049.jpg
+
5a168e0b-c8a7-410c-bc9b-451c61531a83_400.jpg

Or something of the like.
Pros: Probably fairly cheap, locking casters (on that particular dolly)
Cons: Might be less stable than the pinch weld clamping style.

What do you guys think?
I just need to be able to move it around the garage in the winter, to access different areas of the car, and other things that would be blocked by the car if it was in one spot.
Any thoughts or experience would be greatly appreciated.

mitsuturbo

I would not try anything around the "pinch" weld area. All it takes is one screwup, weak spot, et-cetera, and you're faced with nasty, expensive to fix, or permanent damage.
The 2nd option doesn't look/sound very good either, but i guess maybe it could work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

mikus

keep it on wheel dollies for mobility (as good as those work anyhow) and jack it up when you need it jacked up.

SouthCaliVR4

Do not weld regular jack-stands onto wheel dollies, they will pop out & kill you!!! The pinch weld ones look safe enough so long as you put them at the factory lift points, right behind the front wheel & right in front of the rears, there are notches you can see where it is reinforced. Same spot you'd use the fact jack to change a flat.

Terry Posten

Wheel dollies and 6x6 or 8x8 blocks of wood. Let the car rest on the lower control arms

cheekychimp

Okay this would require far more work but if you are stuck in this situation, you might consider the following.

Weld a 'substantial' upright to the wheel dolly (like 2" x 4") with a plate (or holes) at the top you can bolt directly onto hubs/knuckles. Drill a couple of holes in each wheel dolly on the inside edge and bolt some steel square stock between the left and right wheel dollies at the front and back. For added safety, you could weld or bolt similar square stock between the front and rear dollies on each side but that would significantly reduce access to the underside of the car.

Either method would make access to the underside of the car a little more difficult, but for mobility purposes and safety I would think it would be much better.

Last edited:

mitsuturbo

Quoting cheekychimp:
Okay this would require far more work but if you are stuck in this situation, you might consider the following.

Weld a 'substantial' upright to the wheel dolly (like 2" x 4") with a plate (or holes) at the top you can bolt directly onto hubs/knuckles. Drill a couple of holes in each wheel dolly on the inside edge and bolt some steel square stock between the left and right wheel dollies at the front and back. For added safety, you could weld or bolt similar square stock between the front and rear dollies on each side but that would significantly reduce access to the underside of the car.

Either method would make access to the underside of the car a little more difficult, but for mobility purposes and safety I would think it would be much better.

I'd do something like this. If one does not have a welder, though... it's not really all that feasible.

jepherz

Staff member
I don't think you'd want to have the car sitting on any area if you're going to be moving it around unless it's secured to the car, ala the first option with pinch weld clamps.

I don't see why using he pinch welds is a bad idea ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif It's going to sit with all of the weight of the car right where the factory jacks support it anyways; the clamping on the pinch weld is just so that the car doesn't slide off when you're rolling it around.

dollies+regular jacks = bad idea.

mountaineerjeff

just set the car on a bunch of big logs.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
First option we have at our shop. The best way to go as stated by others before me. We've rolled alot of cars around in and out of the shop and even over 1-2" floor lips at the entrance. They can take a beating, as long as they are secured tightly. I've had cars with misplaced keys sitting in front of our E-test dyno rollers, this gets a 2wd car out of the way pretty quick. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned